Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problem of main operating system

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

EDIT Moved from Am I Infected to XP. As requested in post 22 ~~boopme

My computer runs XP - Home.

Last night I was prompted to update Media Player to version 8. I was afraid to do so, because many "updates" from MS mess up my computer. However, I loaded the update. I noticed the new icons in the tray and on the Start Menu, so I assumed all was well.

On Friday nights I run my anti virus and anti spyware software. I started AVG anti-spyware. I checked on it 2 hours later and my boot up screen was on the monitor. By bootup screen I mean, when my machine is turned on, it stops soon after the bootup begins and says something about the Processor was changed??? and prompts me to hit F1 to continue or Del to go to the BIOS setup. I always hit F1 and the machine always bootsup just fine.

Something happened while AVG was running to shut down the computer, what I don't know and I don't know if it is connected to the Media Player update or to a virus I picked up the night before (4 of us use this computer, so viruses and adware are not uncommon - I automatically run Norton Anti-virus and manually run AVG, Ad-Aware, SuperSpyware and Lavasoft). HOWEVER, this time when I hit F1 the machine did not boot up but rather loaded my desktop but with NO tray, NO icons and no response from the Windows key on the keyboard, but with only the mouse pointer on the screen. I could get the Task Manager by hitting Alt-Ctl=Del, but nothing else.

I rebooted several times, and always the same result: My desktop but no tray, no icons, nothing.

I rebooted and tried my wife's and my two daughter's sign in. Same result, their desktop with nothing else. None of us have secure log on procedures and all have Admin Rights.

I tried to boot up in Safe Mode. Again nothing.

I loaded an old Windows XP CD into the CD reader, changed the BIOS to boot up from a CD and loaded a second XP operating system in a folder named Window2. Now when I boot up after hitting F1 to continue, I'm prompted with which operating system to boot, Window2 is listed first and the machine boots up properly, (This is how I am connected and wriiting this posting.); Windows (the original operating system) does not.

I tried to use the Repair option on the CD to repair the original XP; it does not work but prompts me with something like "Continuing Startup", but then it restarts the computer.

The original operating system is linked to all my programs, my Firefox, my Thunderbird, etc. I NEED original system to bootup. PLEASE HELP

Edited by boopme, 10 July 2009 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

Are both of these installations in the same partition?

Since you can open Task Manager, Click on the Applications tab and end all running processes.
Start a new task and type explorer.exe and OK
Hopefully, you should have your Desktop back and you can run some tools
--------------------------------------------------------

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Edited by garmanma, 28 June 2009 - 08:18 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Thanks Garmanma

First, let me preface everything with: I am a novice in computer operating systems and hardware, so please bear with me if I seem a little stupid.

Yes, both operating systems are in the same, and I believe only, partition.

Of course, since the new (I will identify my op systems thusly: The original XP, the one that I wan to repair will be the Original, the XP I loaded yesterday will be New.) op system works OK, I can get into the task manager. However, I assume your direction is for me to see if I can get into the task manager of the Original XP.

I will reboot right now and see if I can get back to the Original desktop. I don't think I will be able to do so, since it now keeps trying to repair (I tried to repair it from the Repair option from the XP disc) and constantly shuts down and restarts.

I'll be back in 10+ minutes.

#4 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

Bad News -- I can not get to the desktop trying to boot up in Original. When I choose to bootup in Original, the Windows Logo screen come up, as is normal, and the little dots moving left to right start moving, when they stop, the screen goes to a light blue with the message, "Setup is being restarted..........." After several seconds the machine shuts down and restarts.

During bootup when the screen asks me which op system to use, it also says that I can hit F8 for troubleshooting. I hit F8 and then selected to boot up from the last known bootup that worked. Same result as above.

I then tried to boot up in Safe Mode. After a few seconds, I get a listing of many drivers, i.e. the screen lists look like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\...--then a driver

It lists about 20+ drivers.

After a few seconds, the screen becomes black with the words Safe Mode in each corner and at the center top: BUILD .xpsp_sp2 (and more but I could not write fast enought to copy it all down).

Then the machine again shut down and restarted.

In the options after I hit F8 is the option to dieenable automatic shutdown - Should I disable this?

Perhaps if I boot up into New, could I then, using My Computer, Is there anyway I can remove the files/program/script that was obviously loaded by the XP Disc Repair module that keeps trying to "Setup is being restarted...." and when unsuccessful keeps shuting down/restarting.

Jim

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

Is it fixable? Yes
Can I get it done in a day? Maybe

What is the make and model of the computer?
Is it a requirement the documents be saved? Extra steps and equipment will be needed
Is this the only computer in the house?

If you just want to start over, we can do that the proper way, but you will lose everything on the computer
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

Garmanma,

Again, thanks much.

I don't want to lose everything, there is simply too much irreplacable stuff.

There is no make and model. It was a machine built in someone's basement/workroom. It has served me well for about five years.

I believe the motherboard is an ATA100/133; the CPU is an Intel Pentium 4; it has a Westen Digital Hard-drive (80Gig-I think). I have a 3.5 in. floppy drive, a CD drive, and a CD/DVD R/W drive. My sound card is a Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1/24 bit card. The machine has 3 fans, two on the box and a big Arctic Cooling 4 fan on the mother board. I have 512 MB of RAM. The video card has a fan that died, I have a PNY AGP8x 5200 256 MB Graphics Card that I was going to install, but since no user ever runs games, the current card is working well and does not overheat even with the broken fan.

I have the cover off, so if you can tell me where to look for more descriptive items or how to find them in SYSTEMS or elsewhere, then I will do so.

There are two other computers in the house, one older Mac and a Dell that is also about 5 years old. Moving either is not an easy chore, but if absolutely necessary can be done. Unfortuneately they are on the second level, so I could get on the internet on one of them and then come back down to carry out any instructions on my machine.

Lastly, I have another problem. The XP CD I loaded to create the New XP was from the machine upstairs, and I have been prompted to "register" it within 30 days. Since it was probably registered once before when the Dell machine was set up, will the Anti-Christ (Bill Gates) let me "use" it again. Also, I may not have all the CDs of the software loaded through the original XP (mea culpa - no one to blame but myself). Sometimes I long for the days of DOS where all programs were in their own sub-directory and not co-mingled with the operating system.

Is there no way to work on the files in WINDOWS (the original XP) when I am booted up on WINDOW2 (the new XP)?

Jim

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

s there no way to work on the files in WINDOWS (the original XP) when I am booted up on WINDOW2 (the new XP)?

Boot to the new install and do a search for the files and see if they can be located
If they are found but you cannot access them you might have to take ownership of the folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

If that doesn't work, you will need to remove the drive and put it in an external enclosure:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....archResult=True
Just make sure you match the connection to your hard drive, i.e. IDE or SATA
Afterwards you can keep the enclosure and buy another drive and have a backup drive handy all of the time

You would put the screwed up drive in the enclosure and attach it to the other computer where you can browse through it and save what you want to the good computer

I have been prompted to "register" it within 30 days.

Do you have the original CD or at least the CD key?
Using the Dell installation disk will not work
If you do not have the disk, but at least know the key, You can borrow a Retail XP Home CD and use your key
If it was XP Home, SP2, that is what you must use
Mark
Posted Image

#8 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

I am booted up on the NEW XP and that is how I am on the Web. Through My Computer and Norton Commander (an old DOS program that usually can access files on the Hard Drive directly without going through Windows) I appear to have access to the folders and files in Windows folder (the old XP).

The XP Home, SP2 CD that I loaded to create Window2, the new XP, is a Dell CD, and so far it is working fine. I also have the 25 alphanumeric key code. When my 30 days are up, and I try to use the code to register it, I assume it will be rejected. Until then, all seems OK.

Jim

Edited by jsaklas, 28 June 2009 - 02:43 PM.

#9 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:10 AM

It's 2:00 am and I'm exhausted and getting frustrated.

Why was I moved to the "I'm Infected........" forum?

I may be infected, who knows, but my primary and urgent problem is I can't boot up in my original Windows XP

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Why was I moved to the "I'm Infected........" forum?

Because you posted a problem that included an infection

my primary and urgent problem is I can't boot up in my original Windows XP

you need to delete the extra install and repair the MBR
If you would rather post a new thread in the Operating Systems forums, go ahead

Edited by garmanma, 30 June 2009 - 04:39 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

garmanma,

Remember, I'm by no means an expert. How could you tell I had an infection? Was it because AVG was running when the trouble hit - makes sense.

If I delete the second XP, which I'm willing to do if you tell me how, then I will not be able to do anything on this computer. I can not boot up on the original XP, not even in Safe Mode, and booting up from the CD doesn't work because when I click on R to choose the repair module, it brings up a light blue screen with the message, "Setup is starting to shut down" or something to that effect and then it shuts down.

J.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

It was a machine built in someone's basement/workroom.

That would be a generic xp home oem install?

You can't use a dell disk for a repair

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You need the original disk and numbers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

DaChew,

I am a novice and don't fully understand - I apologize, but I need more explanation than most. Yes, I assume a generic XP was loaded onto the machine when I got it. I do NOT have the CD (It is either lost or I never had it - I don't remember.)

I have a program called Keyfinder, and I ran it and it found a key to an XP (which one, the original or the Dell new). This key is different than the one I wrote on the Dell disk, so I assume it is the one from the original XP.

In any case, if I must have the original CD, then, am I screwed and forced to buy a new legit XP and start from scratch, or is there another option?

BTW, the Dell CD did load up the new XP, but are there downloadable substitute repair programs/files to replace the ones I can't use on the Dell disk?

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

To further confuse matters and partially contradict myself, I have heard of people using an old dell disk to repair a generic oem install. They had a seperate driver disk, in that case so their dell disk was generic, Microsoft stopped that long ago.

There are cases when an install is so corrupted by whatever, that even a repair install with the right disk won't fix the OS.

Are you sure you followed the correct procedure for the repair?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

I will tell you where I probably screwed up. When I booted from the Dell disk, at one point it asks whether to hit R for repair or to install. I hit R. In the link you sent earlier on "How to Perfom a Windows............................" it warns in bold letters Do NOT choose Repair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users