Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:50 PM

Howdy Everyone,

I have a question regarding the spyware that I have installed on my computer.

I have Yahoo as a home page and have their anti spyware installed. When I run a scan using this spyware it may pick up say, 10 tracking cookies. I then instruct the program to remove them, and it says that they have been removed.

Next I run a Spy Bot scan. After the scan, Spy-Bot says I have 8 problems and asks wether I want them fixed. Here is the problem. These 8 problems are 8 of the 10 that Yahoo anti spy was to have just removed.

I click yes , fix problems, and Spy-Bot reports 8 problems fixed.

I then run an Ad- Aware scan, and 4 to 6 of the same tracking cookies show up. I then ask Ad-Aware to remove them. I am confused,. I am starting to wonder if any of these tracking cookies have been removed by any of the three anti-spy programs. Could anyone tell me whats happening ????

Thank You for any help you can give me.
Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:08 PM

This should not happen if you run these applications one after the other when you are offline. Many tracking cookies will quickly reappear once you move around the net.
Be sure, also, that what the applications find are not in another's quarantine folder.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

Thank-you for the information John. I usually run them while on line, but while only visiting one web site and not web surfing.

I will try running them while offline and see how it goes. I also have Microsoft anti-spy and Norton anti virus.

I had run a scan by Spy Doctor yesterday evening after scanning the computer with all programs. Spy Doctors scan said I had 23 infections. Most were tracking cookies, however one was high risk. It said my browser had been compromised.

Microsoft and Norton have never reported any infections or viruses. I am really getting suspicious of these programs.

Thanks,

Dennis

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:13 AM

The problem with spyware applications is that, unlike, for example, viruses, the definitions of what consitututes spyware can vary from one company to another. The same also applies to cookie use, although cookies are more harmless. Having one or two spyware applications makes sense, but I think the law of diminishing returns applies after two.
Regards,
John

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply John.

My computer was invaded by a worm/virus several months ago and it completely wiped me out. I am very gun shy now. I was just thinking the more protection the better. I am a extremely novice user, just trying to learn as I go.

Take Care,
Dennis

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:24 PM

There is nothing wrong with a little overkill, especially if you have been burned before, or if you unsure of yourself when it comes to using the Net.
Cheers,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users