Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE vs SATA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

I am about to purchase a new Double layer DVD burner and need advice on which type to go with, an LD 22x IDE or HP SATA.
The SATA will require an additional card with the following specs as my Motherboard doesn't support SATA drives.

* Supports RAID Level 0 and RAID Level 1 (two internal SATA Ports can make the RAID).
* PCI bus version 2.2
* 1 eSata ports
* 2 Internal SATA port
* 1 Internal IDE interface supports ATA-33, ATA-66, ATA100, ATA133
* SATA port trans speed can up to 1.5G (150Mbps)
* Complies with Serial ATA specification Revision 1.0
* Support SATA I devices only
* Ultra ATA-133 IDE interface Extension to Ultra DMA-133 interface for up to 133MB/s transfer rate
* Chipset: VIA VT6421A
* Compatibility: Works for Windows 98 SE, Me, 2000, XP, Vista
* Installation Driver CD is included, onboard jumper setting instruction is included in the CD as well.

My system is XP Pro running at 2.0 Ghz with 1.024 gig RAM
So I guess my question is: Are there advantages to SATA over IDE that make it worth going that route?
Thank you for any advice
Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

IMO :thumbsup:...there's no advantage in having a SATA optical drive...the advantages lie in using SATA hard drives.

Well...there is the advantage of using the slimmer cables...but I don't consider that worthwhile as a pretext for changing the connection on a device that still will perform whatever it does...at the same speed.

If you have no intent of using SATA hard drives, I see no reason to consider utilizing a controller card.

I believe that SATA optical drives exist only because motherboard/system manufacturers have decided that PATA/IDE connectors are a thing of the past. Newer motherboards have been produced for some time now...with only one or no IDE connections, while the number of SATA connectors has increased.

I could be wrong but it seems to be a technology change primarily designed for hard drives (which can operate with greater speed/efficiency) and optical drives are just along for the ride because IDE ports/connections are going the way of the dodo.

Some opinions, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19445719-...-optical-drives

Louis

IMO, it's always good to have a controller card around that can facilitate connection of both SATA and IDE devices on a system. And...if you're going to have one, try to get one that is known to be reliable (not all are).

#3 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

Louis,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
It is the exact info I needed to make my choice.
Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users