Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Shuts Down Unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lsb188

lsb188

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

My Systemax PC has begun shutting down enexpectedly. Sometimes it will go several days, other times several hours. I have replaced the power supply with a new 500W unit from TigerDirect (OEM unit was 350W), and I have cleaned the entire inside of the PC with a vacuum (altough there are a feww spots I could not get clean - too small a space). No new hardware or software recently, no viruses or trojan horses. Please offer any suggestions. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

You may have cleaned the obvious dirt out but overlooked what will cause the problem.

Ifr the CPU fan/heatsink is clogged with dirt/dust it will cause the CPU to overheat & the computer to shut off.
That may not happen until a CPU intensive program is used.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

We have a tutorial on how to clean the interior
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 lsb188

lsb188
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

Thanks, guys...great advice. I especially liked that tutorial...printed it out for the cleaning job tomorrow. Many, many thanks.

#5 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

i hav the same problem

#6 lsb188

lsb188
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

So I followed the tutorial to the letter...lots of dust now gone. And the damn thing is still shutting down. I downloaded a program called SpeedFan to show the temperature of the CPU and the speed of the different fans in the PC, and all is normal - well below max temp per AMD. Also, I downloaded a memory test program called MemTest...and the RAM passed with no errors. What's next? New power supply, fairly new video adapter (6 months)....what could it be???

#7 lsb188

lsb188
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

A new twist - I have been shutting down Outlook 2007 after checking email to prevent the "Outlook did not shut down properly...." message upon reboot, after a shutdown. Amazingly, since I started doing this, the PC has not shut down! So...could Outlook 2007 be the culprit here?? Anyone here of this, or hear about any Outlook issues? I did take the most recent Outlook update from MS, but I have not yet installed SP2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users