Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to recover files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 marliaths

marliaths

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

I have Windows Xp Media Center Edition and yesterday it stopped working. It would get up to windows logo and then would restart again. I am wondering if there is any way to save all my files at are inside the hard drive, or if anyone knows how to get my computer back to normal so I don't have to restore it. Thank you in advance :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

<<I am wondering if there is any way to save all my files at are inside the hard drive, or if anyone knows how to get my computer back to normal so I don't have to restore it.>>

Hmmm...that's asking al lot, if something serious has gone wrong. But...we'll see what we can do :thumbsup:.

This is going to be somewhat laborious...if you get tired of any of the steps or suggested approaches, feel free to quit. It's your system and you don't have to try to do any of what might be suggested.

Manufacturer of PC...and the model? Manufacturer is Compaq, Gateway, et alia...while the model would be something analogous to Presario 1234.

Have you tried any of the methods for repair which might be enabled/suggested by the manufacturer...and probably contained in the owner's manual?

Do you have restore/recovery CDs, provided by the system manufacturer?

Did you note any onscreen error messages?

Are you the only user on this system...there's only one profile?

Are you using the Windows firewall? Do you have an AV program installed and updated? What other programs do you have installed that are supposed to protect the system from malware?

Is your version of Windows current with all critical updates that should have been installed to better security?

Do you have access to a working, functional system...in addition to this one?

Is this a laptop or a desktop? I tend to think "desktop" but I make many mistakes daily :flowers:.

Do you have any reason to suspect that malware is at the root of your problems? Do you download torrents? Install unknown software?

Can you get to safe mode? Can you get to a screen where you can try last known good configuration?

You might take a look at a software program I had noted before. I've never used it (never had the need) but I've been meaning to suggest it to posters who seem like they ought to be interested in trying it. I suspect that it works (I use Avira AV), but I don't guarantee anything, at any time.

Avira AntiVir Rescue System - http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_a...cue_system.html

Louis

#3 marliaths

marliaths
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Manufacturer of PC...and the model? Manufacturer is Compaq, Gateway, et alia...while the model would be something analogous to Presario 1234.
HP and its a123on.

Have you tried any of the methods for repair which might be enabled/suggested by the manufacturer...and probably contained in the owner's manual?
I tried inserting the restore cd and going to the recovery console but I could not find anything to repair my system.

Do you have restore/recovery CDs, provided by the system manufacturer?
I have the restore cds that I made from my computer.

Did you note any onscreen error messages?
Well sometimes it will get to a blue screen but most of the time there is no onscreen error message. I cannot recall what it says on the blue screen.

Are you the only user on this system...there's only one profile?
Yes I am the only on on the computer, only one profile.

Are you using the Windows firewall? Do you have an AV program installed and updated? What other programs do you have installed that are supposed to protect the system from malware?
I have Nod32, Malwarebyte's Antimalware, Superantispyware, and Threatfire. They were all updated.

Is your version of Windows current with all critical updates that should have been installed to better security?
Yeah it was updated. In fact the day before the computer screwed up, I updated to the newest updates.

Do you have access to a working, functional system...in addition to this one?
Well I am on my laptop right now since the other one doesnt' work.

Is this a laptop or a desktop? I tend to think "desktop" but I make many mistakes daily smile.gif.
The computer that is screwed up is a desktop.

Do you have any reason to suspect that malware is at the root of your problems? Do you download torrents? Install unknown software?
No I don't think it was malware and I don't download torrents on that computer at all.

Can you get to safe mode? Can you get to a screen where you can try last known good configuration?
No I cannot get to safe mode at all, same thing as regular startup, it just restarts.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

To recover files from a computer that won't boot into Windows you can use a Live Linux CD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 marliaths

marliaths
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

Thank you guys, I managed to recover the files. I was trying to install Vista and everything went okay but after the installation was done and it was about to log in, my computer restarted just like it was restarting with windows xp. I start my computer and a wierd screen filled with wierd symbols comes up and the symbols are in different colors. It says this:
Done!
fallback 1
find --set-root /bootmgr

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm not sure if this matters or not but I have two partitions on my computer. One is a hp recovery partition and the other was the C drive partition that had windows Xp on it. I formatted the Xp partition and did not format the recovery partition. Could this have something to do with it?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

Insert you Vista DVD into the CD/DVD drive and reboot (make sure your computer is set to boot from a CD/DVD). Vista will ask you for language and keyboard layout information, after which you will be asked if you want to re-install Vista or repair your existing installation. Select Repair. After which Vista's System Recovery Tool will start.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 marliaths

marliaths
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

I did that and nothing happens, I get taken to a screen that has list of options to choose from and I tried the startup recovery thing and it didn't change anything. It said something about unplugging any cameras or anything else that is plugged into my computer but I have nothing plugged in.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

I would try reinstalling Vista from scratch again.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 marliaths

marliaths
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

I did that and the same thing happened again. Could this be because of the second partition that is from when my computer had windows xp Media Center Edition?

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

I guess it's possible but I'm not sure. Perhaps you should create a new topic in the Vista forum, where people with more experience in Vista might be able to help.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users