Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

default settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justanotherproblem

justanotherproblem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:48 PM

My boyfriends computer wouldn't start up so we had a tech (friend) look at it. He did somethings to the computer including replacing the video card.

Now all of the programs are in the start up menu and starting when the computer starts up, but thats not the problem. I had gone into the start up menu and unchecked all those I don't want to start up and also went into some of the programs themselves and set them up so they did NOT start up when computer was turned on.

Everytime the computer is turned on all those programs still start up and the tool bar at the bottom is loaded with program icons.

Why do the programs keep going back to the default settings and how can i fix this.

Thank you in advance for your help

justanotherproblem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:02 PM

Did you go into the startup folder: start/all programs/startup and remove programs or did you go into msconfig: start/run/type msconfig and hit enter, go to the startup tab and uncheck programs you did not want to start?

#3 justanotherproblem

justanotherproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

yes I went into the run msconfig startup menu and unchecked the programs. I also went into most of the programs in their settings and configured them not to start up at the start.

#4 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:14 PM

try turning them off in the main services page, hit start, control panel , admin tools then services, scroll down the list and either make it manual or stopped. You have to right click on every service to set it that way but they wont come back!! Its the way your suppposed to do it instead of using MSCONFIG

#5 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:48 PM

Why not give This a try? It's free for personal use and does an excellent job.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#6 justanotherproblem

justanotherproblem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:38 AM

Gilmour,

I went to the folder as you instructed and there is no option to turn any of these programs off. There is only a "start" option. No matter what menu I looked in there was no option to turn them off, even if I right clicked on them all I got was

START

(items below were grayed out)

stop
pause
resume
restart

Then

All Tasks > Start

(items below were grayed out)
stop
pause
resume
restart

then

refresh
properties ( I saw nothing in properties that would allow me to disable anything, except maybe "service" says "stopped" and below that has "start" then grayed out are "stop" "pause" and "resume")
help

There is also a start up type option in properties for each item that has "automatic" "disabled" or "manual"

Does any of this look like I'm in the right place?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users