Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'M SO FRUSTRATED!!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 izzyliz

izzyliz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

OK. First of all, Hi....I'm new to the forums, though I feel like I've been reading them forever now.
I'm running Vista Home Premium (32) and currently using AVG Free and Adaware. My problem is that I'm unable to get hardly anywhere online, not even to gmail. It started off with not being able to use IE7 at all. I would open it, and would immediately get an error. I also was hearing advertisements in the background, even when the browser was closed. I was unable and am still unable to get to the Windows Update site. All I can see is that all updates since this started have failed to install. I'm unable to manually install any at all. The original error that started it all was:

problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 7.0.6000.16851
Application Timestamp: 49f1c468
Fault Module Name: StackHash_8d13
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c00000fd
Exception Offset: 100028b8
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8d13
Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
Additional Information 3: 8d13
Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Before I installed AVG and was running trendmicro (which didn't detect any viruses at all) I tried to run a system restore, thinking maybe an update caused the issue or something. I tried several restore points and they all failed. I also attemped SFC /scannow and said there were errors that could not be repaired, but when i look in the CBS log i don't see what errors there were. I'll be glad to post that for you, if you'd like.

Since TrendMicro didn't detect any viruses, I decided to try another...I attempted to Install Kapersky, but it would not install, was unable to run the live online scans and finally got AVG Free to load (after completing in safe mode). So AVG detected:

Trojan horse Crypt.EUV (C:\windows\temp\2272653.tmp)
Trojan horse Injector.EL (C:\windows\system32\MSIVXeusvtovodkbrovsrbfxepocutfbdidjw.dll) and
Trojan horse Injector.EL (C:\windows\system32\MSIVXoppjgsovxebqsttrhhvdhwtdcrioapux.dll).

AVG pops up anytime I open IE or sometimes even when i'm disconnected from the internet totally, not doing anything at all. It recognizes to two Injector viruses and I have to move them to the vault as a power user. It will not heal them. And they just keep coming back over and over again. The Crypt.euv was moved to the vault with the first scan and has never returned.

So, basically, where I stand now, I no longer hear the advertisements since I scanned with AVG the first time. I can connect to the internet, can browse most places, but the ones I can't (ex: gmail, majorgeeks, some random news sites, etc...the sites I can and cannot access change almost hourly) it tells me the sites are down or I don't have a connection, when I know good and well that's not the case. And AVG keeps picking these Injector viruses up that I can't get rid of. I'm not sure what other information you need, but let me know and i'll be glad to do it.

Oh yeah, not sure if this matters, but before...when I was unable to use IE at all, I WAS able to go into safe mode with networking and use it just fine. That's actually how I ended up successfully installing AVG.

OK. That about covers it. Sorry it's so longwinded. Just trying to give you the most info possible.
Thanks for your help!
Elizabeth

Edited by izzyliz, 27 June 2009 - 12:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

try this izzyliz

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.38) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

* If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

On the Scanner tab:

* Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
* Then click on the Scan button.
* If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

* Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
* Exit MBAM when done.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

** If Malwarebytes Anti-Malware results in any error messages, please refer to Fixes for common problems and Error Codes. Some issues with errors can be related to malware infection but others are not.

Hmm it didn't post right for some reason but you get the idea i hope

Edited by D_N_M, 27 June 2009 - 12:19 PM.

#3 izzyliz

izzyliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

I tried it again for good measure (I attempted to install this before) and it does let me completely install it, but when i try to run it, it says "malwarebytes has stopped working". so I uninstalled it and attempted to reinstall it again. I'm unable to access their site, cannot get to majorgeeks, and can only download it from cnet. so......what now?

OK. Back again. I went into safe mode...made sure it was completely uninstalled and tried to install it one more time. it installed, but would not open at all, not even as administrator. rebooted. back in windows normally now. it again says it's stopped working before i can even get into it.

Edited by izzyliz, 27 June 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#4 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

try this izzyliz

http://www.freedrweb.com/ it has helped me many times with great success and is recommended by the pro's on this site
good luck and please let us know how you made out

D_N_M

#5 izzyliz

izzyliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks so much for that! I was able to run express scan and it found trojan packed.2749... I can now use IE in normal mode without AVG popping up and telling me it's detected a virus, or it shutting down on me. NOW my problem is that when I tried to do the freedrweb COMPLETE scan, it shuts down with the BSOD. Reboots and goes straight to a very abbreviated version of chkdsk. Chkdsk doesn't find any problems, then goes back into normal mode just fine. The Blue Screen errors were Bad Pool Header and the first one was something about memory. Sorry, that one was gone before I got a good look at it. So....as long as i'm not doing anything that digs too deep into the HD, it seems I'm ok for the most part. I tried to run a chkdsk /f from safe mode command prompt and it told me the disk was write protected and wouldn't let me do it. I was running as administrator too. Other than that, I'm still unable to browse some websites. For instance, youtube, google images, google video....(i looked up New Moon for my daughter) and there were a couple of options there that linked to a youtube video. It didn't show the pictures in the video like it normally does. Just had a little symbol in there like it didn't wanna cooperate with anything video. There was also a heading that said "new moon news results" that usually links to several news articles about the movie (yes, she's a junkie). It won't let me go there. Tells me i'm not connected to the internet. Same thing in Chrome and Safari. Just some annoyances. I also cannot run any windows updates still. It gives me two errors 80072EFE and 80244019. Any suggestions now? :thumbsup:

Oh, forgot to add....I can open Safari and see videos on quicktime, but still can't see anything on youtube. I also successfully was on OVGuide earlier (in IE) with no problems. It seems to pick and choose what it will and won't do.

Edited by izzyliz, 28 June 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#6 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

i can only recommend that a Mod please move this to the > BleepingComputer.com > Security > HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal i don't want to lead you in the wrong direction izzy as i am not certified in any way and i don't want to give you the wrong instructions. thank you and good luck

D_N_M

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

If mbam won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 izzyliz

izzyliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

I was able to finally get Malwarebytes to run. It found several trojans including afew DNS changers. I also am able to install Windows updates and have gotten caught up on all the important ones and left the junk ones behind. I also upgraded to IE8, thinking it may help or at least replace some corrupt IE files, if needed. Thought this may clear up my problem....WELL.....once again i'm one step closer, but still haven't resolved the whole issue. I now can see the youtube videos show up in a google search now. I can actually get to youtube and the page looks normal now as well. The only problem I can see I'm still having is that when I try to run a complete drweb scan, it's the BSOD all over again. Here's the error it gave me: "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." When I click on "details", here's what I get:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini070109-01.dmp
C:\Users\izzy\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-16783476-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\izzy\AppData\Local\Temp\WER917A.tmp.version.txt

I'm ALMOST there! :thumbsup:

#9 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

have you tried in "safe Mode"? either Drweb or malwarebytes?

#10 izzyliz

izzyliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Malwarebytes runs fine. No problems with that one anymore. I tried DRWEB in safe mode and I still get the blue screen. It seems to be the same file paths each time from what I've noticed.

#11 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

Try this izzyliz

http://www.superantispyware.com/
and please let us know how you made out. :thumbsup:

D_N_M

#12 izzyliz

izzyliz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Ok. Thanks. I'll try that when I get home tonight. LOL. I think by the time this is over, I'll have gone through every spyware removal software in the book! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users