Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Me Reset My Online Default Font To Arial *Very Frustrating*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#16 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

hello finalson

this is for original problem. did you ever solve it?. if no. here is a problem close to yours that has been solved. :huh:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...old-italic.html

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 TheFinalSon

TheFinalSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

But no, that was XP, I have Vista, that doesn't do me any good. :huh:

Edited by TheFinalSon, 04 July 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#18 TheFinalSon

TheFinalSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

But you know, there is starting to be all kinds of problems on my computer, beyond just these things. Like it's starting to be that any new program I download, I get some error message as to why I can't install it, and windows within Microsoft Explorer itself are starting to open with nothing in them, or only some things displayed, stuff like that. My Norton says I don't have any viruses, but I am beginning to get the feeling there is something more deeply wrong with my computer and something like a system restore or even totally reformatting Windows may be my only real solution, much as a colossal pain in the ass that will be. First of all, my computer came with Vista preinstalled, I don't even have any boot discs, so I don't know how I would go about doing it even. And if I wanted to do a system restore instead, how do you do that on Vista exactly?

Edited by TheFinalSon, 04 July 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#19 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

heres a link to recovery instructions. not sure what machine you have.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...structions.html

let us know how you get along. :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#20 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Judging by your last post FinalSon, it sounds like you are malware infested. You should zip over to the malware section and get that taken care of before trying to install anything else.

Nonetheless, here is the free Microsoft Support for SP2.

Select your Country and keep clicking answers and next until you get to the screen that offers you email, live chat, and telephone support. The phone number is under the live phone support option.

Edit: In my humble opinion, not only does Norton suck with Vista, it causes problems. The FIRST thing I would do is get rid of it. Use the Norton Removal Tool, don't go to programs and uninstall it there.

Edited by DeathStalker, 04 July 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#21 TheFinalSon

TheFinalSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

Judging by your last post FinalSon, it sounds like you are malware infested. You should zip over to the malware section and get that taken care of before trying to install anything else.

Ok, thanks for all the info guys. Could you give me a link to exactly what under the malware section tells me how to clean it out for Vista, please? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much for keeping helping me, everyone. :huh:

#22 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

You will be walked through the actual "cleaning" process by a malware expert. I think you should start the process in the How do I get help? Who is helping me? forum of this site.

The first clickable link you will come to on that post (it's a blue colored "Here"), will direct you to take some steps that you probably may already be aware of and you may have already done some or all of them. Go through it anyways, I have a suspicion that your computer will not allow you to perform certain steps due to infection, and that will be information that the person helping you can use. The next "here" that you click on is just some general guidelines about posting that you already know lol, read it anyway to be sure.

The THIRD 'Here" is under the second topic on that post, Instructions for posting your problem, and it is the important one. It walks you through the process of doing a of scan of your computer and creates a log that the malware pro can look at and determine where to start the malware removal. It also tells you WHERE and HOW to post that log.

If you do post a log and no one looks at it in a day, let me know. i have an alternative lol. They say give them three days, but that's a long time to be without a properly functioning computer if it's used for more than pleasure. I know of another site that has malware experts with the same certification that the ones here have, but it's not as "popular" so they get get to the problems more quickly. I don't say that as any criticism to this site, they (Bleeping Computer) are not only one of the sites that train malware pros, but they also are a repository of information and tools that the malware pros use. LOL there is a wealth of information that folks like you and I can not access here because we are NOT malware pro's and quite truthfully, we would do more harm than good using the tools.

I'm rambling on. Sorry. Click the link and follow the instructions lol. When you are clean, if you STILL have problems installing stuff and whatnot, let us know. THAT we can help you with.

#23 TheFinalSon

TheFinalSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

Hi. Back. Sorry I have been away and not responded for so long, I had a family "situation" and had to go on a little impromptu trip for a little while. :huh: Mmh. I was thinking about this computer situation the whole time. So I am back now, and it is still not fixed. I followed all the instructions that you gave me so far DeathStalker, well actually, all the ones I could. I did all the things under the first "Here", cleaned my hard drive, defragmented my disk, all that. But then you say that the third blue "Here" tells me how to run a malware scan, and I didn't see a third "Here", nor any part that tells me how to run the scan nor where to post the log from it. Could you run the link for where that is by me again please? I'd really appreciate it.

#24 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

Man, i am so sorry. I would have sworn that the third "here" took you to THIS HERE. Obviously i was wrong. no wait, I wasn't wrong, "they" changed the link lol. Anyways, that hightlighted link is where I meant to send you.........

Again, sorry for the bum steer.

EDIT: Step 6 on that link is where you run a scan. It tells walks you through it and tells you where to post it.

Edited by DeathStalker, 13 July 2009 - 01:21 PM.

#25 TheFinalSon

TheFinalSon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:00 AM

Ok, thank you very much DeathStalker! That link worked and was the correct thing, sorry they moved it on you, I just appreciate you sending me to the correct place after all. I went to step 6 there and ran the DDS program. I'm going to post the log it generated in that forum now. I'm not sure if you are one of the "malware experts" who is able to help with that, but if you are, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at it for me! (I'll edit this post with a link to that post at the bottom of it, once I post it in the other forum). If you're not one of those experts, though, didn't you also say you had an alternative solution? I would really appreciate you letting me know that, too. Thank you so much, once again!

Edit: And here's the link now, as promised: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/242022/please-help-think-i-am-infected-with-malware-not-sure-what-at-the-end-of-my-rope-here/

Edited by TheFinalSon, 16 July 2009 - 05:20 AM.

#26 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

Nope sorry, I am definitely not a malware expert. I know a few things and am learning more, but I wouldn't even attempt to clean my own computer much less any someone else's. I looked at your log though. I am not familiar with that pseudo HJT program they use, so I don't know how to read it completely. I don't know why they do that instead of using HJT but I'm certain they have valid reasons as they are a part of ASAP and UNITE.

Why did you download the registry cleaner? Do you know enough about registries to ensure you don't delete something important? Those registry cleaners can be dangerous unless you are really familiar with registries. They WILL tell you sometimes to delete entries that are not only valid, but also necessary. Don't un install or delete it or do anything else to change your computer right now though until the malware people are done. They will tell you what to delete and so on lol, but when they are finished, maybe we can get rid of some junk (i call it crapware) that Toshiba included with your computer. It's not "harmful" it just is unnecessary and can slow you down.

WHen they have finished, we have two courses of action we can take. One will be IF they find and remove malware, (basically repeat some of the stuff you tried before) and the other course will be if they don't find anything; IE: your computer was not infected.

#27 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/242022/please-help-think-i-am-infected-with-malware-not-sure-what-at-the-end-of-my-rope-here/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users