Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Severe stability issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Idunnoe

Idunnoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:45 PM

Hello all, I'm new to these forums and am having a problem with my computer.

It has fairly severe stability issues ( normally crashing 5-10 times in any given day) with a computer I built a few months ago. I'm not overclocking any hardware, and I don't suspect it to be overheating.

Usually while running more than one program and alt-tabing between them, the computer will often flash a blue error screen quickly (too quick for me to read what it says) and reboot, later asking me to send error reports. These error reports usually point towards 'device drivers' and sometimes more specifically 'video drivers.'
At other times it won't show any error, just flash the blue screen and reboot.

Latley it has also started to just stop all together on occasion. No reboot, no error messages, nothing - It just stops. I then have to manually reboot it.

I suspect it to be a driver problem, or some of my hardware is going bad (the computer is less than a year old so i don't know how that could be) but I always have the latest drivers for my video card (these errors happen no matter what driver i download)

Using ad-aware and haven't found any kind of spy ware or any thing similar, i rarely download anything other than drivers anyway.
Like I said previously It's likely not overheating as I'm not overclocking anything and there are plenty of fans (nine) in my computer with good air flow.

(the computer is running strangely slow too, all games i play have to be on the very minimum settings to get a decent framerate, even though my specs are well above the recommended)

I really have no idea what is causing these problems, Is there something I have to do that I may have missed when initially building the computer to have it run smoothly?

the specs are:

MSI k8n Neo platinum MoBo
AMD 64 2800+ cpu
ATI radeon 9600
Giel (i think) 512 (pc 400) ram
Thermaltake purepower 420w psu
80g SATA hard drive
windows xp home

any help would greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

Seems like you have answerd your own question. You have a 9600 with that cpu? Anyway download omeaga drivers for the ATi. And if you have another vid card stick it in!

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Edit Also download this program ,will tell you what yoyur temps are and you can control your fan speeds.

SpeedFan

Edited by gilmour, 05 July 2005 - 02:59 PM.

#3 Idunnoe

Idunnoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:11 PM

wow thanks for directing me to those omega drivers, no crashing yet =)

and yes, I do use the radeon 9600 with an AMD 64. Is that bad?

[EDIT] not more than 15 minutes after I wrote this was I alt-tabbing between programs when I see the BSOD flash and my computer reboot.
Is there any way for me to stop it from rebooting automatically so i can see what the error is?

Edited by Idunnoe, 05 July 2005 - 09:37 PM.

#4 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:41 PM

Yes there is....hit start, right click my computer, Properties,Advanced,Under Startup and recover uintick the Automaticlly restart. The you can right down what it says and do a cold boot. Did you install the Speedfan? See if your gpu is getting to hot. and no a 9600 is not bad just was wondering why you bought a 3800+ and not a better vid card?

Edit, lol, didnt see you ran a 2800+ my mistake, do you have a 9600xt?

Edited by gilmour, 05 July 2005 - 11:41 PM.

#5 Idunnoe

Idunnoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:56 AM

Just waiting for the next reboot, i've turned off the auto reboot.

Also installed the speedfan program. It gives me 4 different temperatures, 31C
36C
38C
56C

I know the 56C one is too high, but how do i tell what is that temperature? It's just labeled as 'Temp3'

also what could I do about it? I have more fans than I really need ( makes quite a noise too) thers no build up of dust or anything blocking the airflow.

#6 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

No such thing as to many fans :thumbsup: ... As for what that is seems like your hd.Usually the last temp is your hard drive.You can speed up your fans if you want. See if that helps. But somthigns getting really hot. Not your cpu though.

#7 Idunnoe

Idunnoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

I turned off the auto reboot and found the error message i got is this:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF8A1E4A, 0xF86B4BC8, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys

address BF8A1E4A base at BF00000, Date Stamp 422511a2

Does that help in finding out the problem any?

Also it's not the hard drive overheating, thats the only one thats labeled, and its at 36C.
Also, if it is because of someting overheating why in the world would I get driver error reports?

#8 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

Lets try this first if it dont work then there is only 2 other things to do and it will be fixed so we will go with the easier first.

Reboot your pc. go into your Bios and if you know how to lower your ram timings. If you dont post back I will walk you through it

Edit: Before you change the timings in your ram, run this program Mem Test.. Let it run for about a half an hour. If it comes up with any errors it is your ram

Edited by gilmour, 06 July 2005 - 07:56 PM.

#9 Idunnoe

Idunnoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

Just want to say thanks a lot for al of your help gilmour, i really appreciate it.

I don't know how to change memory timings, nor do I know what that is supposed to fix or what may be wrong with them (explain please?).

I did run the Mem Test for just over a half an hour, I don't know what I should have been looking for but this is what I saw after about 35 minutes:

Wall Time
0:34:39

Cached
512M

RsvdMem

MemMap
e820-Std

Cache
on

Ecc
off

Test
Std

Pass

Errors

Ecc Errors

Also under the Error Summary sub menu, it read that all the test were "Errors: 0" except for test 5, which was left blank.

Edited by Idunnoe, 06 July 2005 - 11:51 PM.

#10 Idunnoe

Idunnoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

if this helps the computer locked up again, but i got a different error message:

Bad Pool Header

STOP: 0x00000019 ( 0x00000020, 0xE16FD240, 0xE16FD2C0, 0x0C100411)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users