Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outpost firewall issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DogStar5988

DogStar5988

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

I just cleared up an infection with the help of people on the HijackThis forum who suggested I get I firewall for my computer. One of the recommendations was for Outpost Firewall. So I downloaded the program and all was good, but then I restarted my computer (windows XP pro service pack 3) and it wouldn't go past the "Loading your personal settings". I then restarted into safe mode and uninstalled the firewall and it started up fine afterwards. I liked outpost firewall so is there anyway to stop this from happening? Or should I just try a different program?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

Outpost is wonderful, solid, product. What happened to you shouldn't have. It works with XP-SP3 very well.
Question - did you uninstall any old traces of previous firewall or similar products first or did you really not have a firewall?
Did the Outpost installation go well with no errors and then the required first reboot failed?
Or did the lockup happen later?
Perhaps the trojan cleanup didn't cleanup everything, as it sounds like some sort of a driver conflict.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

I see from here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic233084-15.html
that you have Spybot TeaTimer running.
While Spybot is fine, though somewhat obsolete, TeaTimer runs in the background and will cause conflicts with serious firewalls.
You don't need Spybot. If you decide to keep it, shut off TeaTimer and try Outpost again.
Leave Avira Antivir alone. Outpost installation will see it and be OK with it.

#4 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

Ok I will try again without TeaTimer. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

#5 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

I don't know what my issue is but I can't seem to get Outpost to work for me. I reinstalled it after disabling "Tea Timer" and while I didn't get the same issues I had a bunch of other problems. The first time I tried it said it couldn't function properly because it couldn't load some of its files. So after another reinstall I couldn't get onto the internet at all because my wireless wouldn't function. I looked at the application rules and tried to allow anything that may have had to do with my wireless connection but it still wouldn't work. After I uninstalled Outpost everything worked fine. I do have Windows Firewall that came with XP FYI. Not sure if that could be an issue. Thanks

#6 01d5od

01d5od

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Which outpost is being discussed anyways?
The old free version from years ago or the latest 2009 free version or the outpost Pro or Suite or outpost combo with antivirus?

I think there should be a folder labeled agnitum in your program directory left over from the failed install - open it and have a look for any of the files, especially one labelled install (or something to that effect) and perhaps maybe there is a file for fw check.
Open both with the notepad if they are there and see what they say anything interesting.

Richard.
ZA Pro & Avira antivirus & SSM Pro & Privoxy & Protowall & Opera for security. Topped off with a limited user account on fully updated XP HE SP3.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Aha! the logs.
I suspect the user is after the most recent, considering it's the first firewall after crapware removal by the BC staff.
I was just using CCleaner and saw this list in C:\Documents and Settings\<userName>\Local Settings\Temp
afw_setup.0
antileak_control.log
blocked_content.log
compatibility.log
configuration.ini
dd_vcredistUI78A9.txt
rundll32.log
http_events.log
index.html
op_config.log
op_mon.log
OutpostProInstall-03.log
profiler.log
scm_install.log
Setup Log 2009-06-23 #001.txt
Setup Log 2009-06-23 #002.txt
vcredist.log

This is from OutpostPro 2009, but free will be similar. Setup log #1 is beginning and #2 is the tail end, and rundll32 might show some failures as it starts to run perhaps. OutpostProInstall-03.log is what modules loaded just before shutdown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users