Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My public IP and my router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wss

wss

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

I have two webcams in operation, one connected to each of two computers which are working through a Dlink D514 router and a Westell 6100 modem to the DSL line. The modem is set up for bridging operation and the computers have static local IPs. The program which enables the transmission of the video is Webcamxp. It has a feature where you can normally view the online outgoing video. Essentially what it does is send out your public IP and the online video is displayed. The same thing can be accomplished normally by entering the public IP in the browser. However, either of those actions bring up the sign in box for the D514 router. I would like to know why, and what I can do to make the combination work normally. WSS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

On a Linksys router Filter Internet NAT redirection plus some port forwarding would do the job if is checked OFF.
This feature uses Port Forwarding to prevent access to local servers from your local networked computers.

Point (2) here
http://webcam-software.net/remote-video-mo...rks-routers.htm
might explain what to setup.

Did anyof these support items not work
http://www.webcamxp.com/support.aspx
They list the ports to use.

#3 wss

wss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Probably should have mentioned that I have port forwarding enabled on the router. The following ports are forwarded:
WW webcam video 192.168.0.100 TCP 8080/8080
WebcamXP video 192.168.0.100 Both 80/80 always
WebcamXPaudio 192.168.0.100 Both 8090/8090 always
MtnCamWXPvideo 192.168.0.110 Both 8085/8085 always
I'm not using the audio, so that one is not really necessary, but I have in the past.
The filter page of the D514 says: IP Filters: Use IP Filters to deny LAN IP addresses access to the Internet. It is indicated the following are disabled:
* TCP 20-21 always
* TCP 80 always
* TCP 443 always
* UDP 53 always
* TCP 25 always
* TCP 110 always
* Both 8 always
* TCP 23 always
Would you please elaborate on: "On a Linksys router Filter Internet NAT redirection plus some port forwarding would do the job if is checked OFF. This feature uses Port Forwarding to prevent access to local servers from your local networked computers." It just dawned on me you used Linksys, but I'm using a Dlink D514. It so happens I use a Linksys at home, but right now for awhile, I'm in the San Juan Mountains of SW Colorado. The particular feature I mentioned, "Show online page" works at home. Not taking any credit for that though. More of an accident!
I suppose age is a factor also since I'm in my 80's. It's too late to do anything about that, though!
thanks for any ideas. I'm studying the info in the links you gave.
WSS

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:43 PM

I don't know enough to elaborate. And now wish I hadn't even replied :thumbsup:

I saw you asked about DLINK. I wrote the Linksys definition becaise I don't have DLINK, yet often the setup words are similar enough, something might click :flowers:

Filter redirection
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10449610
http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/me...;thread.id=6629

It might not even apply.

The camera sends something to the router and your computer. You want to access your computer from outside. I would think you might need to have your computer accept remote connections, and that, I believe, requires XP-Pro and likely VPN. So bottom line is, I don't know. The few links indicate a bunch of other ports to be opened for that camers, but I still don't quite see how your computer can accept connections from you out there in the nice mountains. Let's hope someone else helps you!

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:31 AM

If all you do is enter your outside IP then yes....it is going to go to the router page. Which btw makes it a great idea to change the sign in info to your router lol

You need to enter your IP with a port like: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8090 and XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8085. This tells the browser to send the request to that port. A better idea would be to use a service like Dynamic DNS just use the free part of their service. Then instead of giving out your IP you can give the address from Dynamic DNS....they would still need to put the port tho. like this: www.your_name_here.com:8090.

I have written this four times, so I hope it makes sense. Think of your IP address as your front door and the port numbers as the doors in your home. If I come in your front door and say I need to use the restroom, besides wondering who the hell I am, you'd say its down the hall, first door on the left. If I come in your front door and say nothing, then all you can do is wonder who the hell I am and what I want.

Entering your IP into a browser = just entering your house

Entering your IP with a port number into a browser = Entering your house and me telling you what I need.

You forwarding those ports = You telling me where the bathroom is.

God I hope that makes sense and I now have to actually use the rest room...lol

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users