Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crouching Vista, Hidden Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andromeda7

Andromeda7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

In January I bought an HP computer: AMD64 at 2.3gb, 7gb RAM, 600gb SATA harddrive, Vista Home Premium. Most of the hard drive is given to the operating system; there is a 13gb restore partition at the end of it.
I wanted a place to store some files from Linux live cds that I use to access the internet. (Vista can't see my external modem). I used Gparted from a live dvd to make a 20gb partition at the end of the first partition. A very bad idea, I see, because Vista will not boot.
Although I made restore disks according to HP's instruction, and these appear to boot, load files, etc. it only takes me to a blank, blue screen with a mouse pointer.
Same for Vista boot iso I downloaded from neosmart --- that gives me a pretty blue and green screen. like the background of the Vista log-in screen, but with nothing on it. I bought an OEM disk with Vista Home Premium sp1, which is what my computer has installed. Vista boots it to the same empty blue and green background (I was hoping to get to a repair screen.) F8 gives me a menu: safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, etc. All of these "load files, please wait", and then give me either a completely black screen or a dark blue screen with a mouse pointer, but nothing else.
It looks like I am going to have to reinstall Vista. Can I do this in a way that will save my restore partition? Do I have to give the entire hard drive to Vista, and then repartition it? (I don't think much of the Vista partitioner, or Vista, for that matter.)I think it would be nice if, out of 600gb I could have a little peice of my hard drive that is mine. I also have WinXP Pro that I could install, but it is 32bit and would not take advantage of all my RAM.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have partitioned and repartitioned many hard drives, and installed and reinstalled various operating systems many times, with no problem. I have to admitt that this is probably my fault for not researching Vista first; I had no idea that it would have such a strangle hold on my computer. If I could find all the drivers I need for peripheral hardware, I'd install Linux and throw my Vista in the trash, which is, in my estimation, where it really belongs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

hello Andrmeda7

does this help you at all?

HP/Compaq Recovery Instructions
Here are recovery instructions for HP/Compaq laptops.

1. Reboot, and repeatedly press F10 at the HP logo until the recovery screen appears.
2. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery.
3. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes".
4. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Andromeda7

Andromeda7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for that quick reply. No, I don't think this would help. F10 on my machine is the bios. I guess I should clarify my post: what I want to know is this --- can I partition my hard drive first and then install Vista in just one partition? Or do I really have to wipe my entire drive? Can I preserve the restore partition?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

Can I preserve the restore partition

Absolutely. You can tell Windows where you want to install it. It doesn't matter if you have two partitions or twenty. When doing the installation, you can manually partition however you want. If you happen to be using restore disks, it is going to preserve the restore partition automatically.

I used Gparted from a live dvd to make a 20gb partition at the end of the first partition. A very bad idea, I see, because Vista will not boot.

That is really unusual. I have used GParted dozens of times to do repartitioning and never had that happen. In fact, when people ask about free repartitioning software, I nearly always recommend GParted. Is there any chance you muffed the partitioning process somehow? Even if you did, you can use any Windows disk to rebuild the master boot record.

Just to clarify, if you use the recovery software to rebuild your system, it is likely that you will not have any options for partitioning; it is just going to handle everything. However, once Vista is installed, there is built in partitioning software that will do what you want.

#5 Andromeda7

Andromeda7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

Actually I can't restore or recover anything with any disc. Although Linux discs, WinXP disc, HP diagnostic disc all boot up just fine, a Vista install disc (which I bought
because HP is too cheap to include one) only boots to a blue and green background screen with a mouse pointer, no text, no nothing. Same with the Vista boot cd I downloaded from neosmart. The so-called restore discs I made according to HP directions "restore" me to a blank blue screen with a mouse pointer, again, nothing to point at. The F8 key gives me a menu of things to do. I have tried every one of them repeatedly; some take me to the blue screen, some to a completely black screen.

My computer is still under warrenty. From previous experience, I am very reluctant to contact Hewlitt Packard. I'm pretty sure they will say it's a software problem, call Microsoft; Microsoft will then tell me it must be a hardware problem (nothing is ever wrong with a Microsoft product) , call Hewlitt Packard. I guess you could say I have a rather bitter attitude toward computer manufacturers. I just wish I had some clue what is really the problem, since the solutions that work from everyone else are not working at all for me.

Edited by Andromeda7, 28 June 2009 - 03:01 PM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Are you using the recovery partition that is on the hard drive, or a separate disk to try and reinstall? Every HP i have owned uses the recovery partition to reinstall.

When it gets to the blue screen, how long are you waiting?

EDIT: have you just tried repairing the Master Boot Record?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users