Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Software do I Need to be Protected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:26 AM

Hi,

I have just bought a new laptop and have installed AVG Free 8.5 and Spybot - Search and Destroy.

Could you please advise me what anti-virus, spyware and malware programmes are recommended, or point me in the right direction of a post which already discusses this.

Thanks, Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:37 AM

If the AVG you are using doesn't have a firewall, I would add a third party firewall and use Malwrebytes and SuperAntiSpyware as on demand scanners.

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

Nick,

Some excellent reading and advice HERE.

#4 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

I suggest you use Firefox as your browser, along with the WOT and Adblock Plus addons. This can prevent a lot of malware from entering your computer in the first place.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:59 AM

I suggest you use Firefox as your browser, along with the WOT and Adblock Plus addons. This can prevent a lot of malware from entering your computer in the first place.

+1 and also use the No Scripts add-on and also do a search for the free program called Spywareblaster.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:50 AM

Use a HOSTS file.
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File and HostsMan that lets you manage your Hosts file.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

I would also consider Spywareblaster - prevents spyware from being installed on your PC.
Find it in our list here Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

I usually go with 1 A/V, 1 Antispyware active like Malwarebytes or Superantisptware..
3rd party firewall, I use Comodo (in the list)
and Spyware Blaster
Firefox is safer than IE
Keep windows and security tools updated and scan often.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users