Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird drive-recognition problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mike18xx

mike18xx

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:52 AM

System: HP DC7600
Drive: 250gb Seagate SATA

Situation:

* The drive is recognized by the HP (which will alert the user when new drives are added, or their position changed, as by changing which SATA cable they're plugged in with), and even repaired (as a "lettered" drive), by the Windows built-in CHKDSK scanner. Get a lot of "File record segment 1234 is unreadable" type errors.

* Nevertheless, when Windows has finished launching, the drive cannot be seen (even as an attached device) BY ANYTHING. Not Explorer, not Device Manager, not Disk Management, not Partition Magic, not Data Rescue....nothing.

I've been working with PCs for thirty years, and this is a new one on me.

Edited by mike18xx, 27 June 2009 - 02:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

Is the drive properly recognized in the BIOS?

If it's connected via USB...it won't appear in the BIOS.

I would attempt to run chkdsk /r command on the partition/drive, http://www.1securitycenter.com/windows_xp_faq/chkdsk.html, using the first set of instructions. Put check marks in both option boxes.

Louis

If the drive cannot be seen...how can error messages be generated? I would check the connections.

The chkdsk /r command can also be run from the Recovery Console, How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Have you tried this drive on a different, known-good system?

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2009 - 09:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users