Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected In Twenty Minutes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:19 PM

What normally happens within twenty minutes? That's how long your average unprotected PC running Windows XP, fresh out of the box, will last once it's connected to the Internet.

Read more here: http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/262

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:43 PM

This is fact. Many times pc's in my office have been compromised when idiots hook them up to the net right out of the box. Between blaster, sasser, even sqlslammer still out there, and script kiddings running dcom scanners, it does not take too long before you are scanned and hacked

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:28 AM

I have made a disk to loan to my friends who have a new computer; it includes the folllowing:
1. Sygate Personal Firewall
2. AVG
3. AdAware
4. Spypbot S&D
5. A readme with instructions on installing and updating, with a list (with links) of other helpful applications I have installed on my computer.

Installing these before hooking up to the internet is at least a start. I also have a copy of the MS security update CD which I lend them.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

When I first went online, within two months my 'puter crashed. The friend that gave it to me came over and brought it back to life. Do not remember him saying anything about antivirus' or firewalls. If he did it probably went over my head. Lol Well it crashed again two months later. I was on my own that time. Anything and everything that they could do they did. This 'puter was going haywire. I had to learn the hard way. What I went through! Ran dianostics, pinged, flashed the Bios and swiped the installation disk.Two to three weeks of trying to get in long enough to do research to try to figure things out. Then I was told of Antivirus Programs. Browser would only open once in a while. It took forever. Finally was able to install an Antivirus Program. Seven trojans had gotten in. No wonder. Mind you I was a brand new newbie. Four months online only. I did not have a clue. Dark, dark days. I now spread the word to anyone who will listen.....And those dirty, rotten, scoundrels who do it just because they can. Are no better than common criminals!

Edited by scarlett, 03 September 2004 - 03:45 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

I have made a disk to loan to my friends who have a new computer; it includes the folllowing:
1. Sygate Personal Firewall
2. AVG
3. AdAware
4. Spypbot S&D
5. A readme with instructions on installing and updating, with a list (with links) of other helpful applications I have installed on my computer.

Installing these before hooking up to the internet is at least a start. I also have a copy of the MS security update CD which I lend them.

Regards,
John

What a wonderful idea, jgweed! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:46 PM

Interesting article, Raw. One of my Linux friends tells me that as soon as XP is running, it is a virus though. LOL

That is a great idea jgweed. I do something similar for all the computers that I build. I sell them a $10/month service in which I install, update, and run 10 programs like that every month. I burn the programs to CD-RWs so that I can re-use them. Including running them in Safe Mode, and restarting, I have it down to almost an hour each time. Yeah, to most people $10/hour is very low for a computer technition, but almost every single one of my clients have referred their friends or relatives. At times, an epidemic, but Im glad that I enjoy it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:38 AM

script kiddings running dcom scanners

I've 0wned more kiddiez running Windows XP trying to hack my server then I care to admit.The funny thing is most of them don't even run a firewall.
I always leave them a nice note on the desktop that they have in fact been 0wned and that their parents should pay more attention to their kids online activities.Sometimes I'll add their printer to my network and spew loads of garbage to it.
All in a days fun!

:thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:10 PM

Lol...

#9 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:20 AM

John........How do you make a disk like that? Do you copy the installers? I should make one. Thanks :thumbsup:

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:50 AM

Everytime I download an application, I make a copy to my second hard drive before I install it. I just copy each program to the disk, and make a new disk when the applications are updated. So the disk has the installers.

John

#11 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

Thanks John..........I don't have a second hard drive. So if I am understanding this correctly, since I keep most of my installers, I could copy them to cd or floppy and use them for a different computer. I would also have to copy the updates. Am I correct on this? Thanks :thumbsup:

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:47 PM

Yes you are correct.
I generally update to the latest release of an application. But make no attempt to keep a copy, for example, of all the definitions as they come out, for AVG, or all the updates to Ad-Aware.
I tell people to install the firewall first, then the AV, updating it on line right away,and then installing Ad-Aware, etc., and updating, since the firewall is the first line of defence.
Cheers,
John

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:52 PM

Or you can just use CD-RWs (or DVD+-RW). When the newest definitions come out, replace the old with the new...
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#14 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 08:00 PM

Thank You , I will try it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users