Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 billyboy1867

billyboy1867

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

after scanning my computer with bitdefender it shows that it could not scan 99 files due to they are password protected

example of file:

C:\Documents and Settings\William xxxxx\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware\Quarantine\Quarantine - 05-27-2009 - 21-21-44.SBU=]{113C9623-E23A-4CCC-B5C6-96A0B1FE3EC3} Password-protected Not scanned

i have uninstalled superantispyware and tried thier uninstal tool on their web page
also, tried uninstalling my os, for a diffrent reason, and these files are still with me.

i have asked for help from sas and got no responds from them so i am hopping that someone here can help

thank you
bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

These are spywares that SuperAntispyware caught and put into quarantine. SuperAntispyware encrypts / password protects these files to make them inert. After uninstalling SAS, you need to manually remove the Quarantine folder. You need to be admin on your computer to do so.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

You can/could have just dump the Quarantile file folder...empty/delete the contents. You don't have to uninstall SAS to get rid of quarantined files.

The Manage Quarantine button on the console allows dumping any quarantined contents.

Louis

#4 billyboy1867

billyboy1867
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:19 PM

thanks for your help

but still need help i can not find where this files are being stored

i tried seaching and can not find where they are

the reason i had to uninstall sas was becuase it was having problems open up

os is windows xp

thank you for your help

bill

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:59 AM

Why not reinstall SAS?

It IS a very useful program...and your former problems with it may have been due to any number of reasons, including file damage/corruption.

Louis

#6 billyboy1867

billyboy1867
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

hello agian

i reinstalled sas ran a scan i deleted all the files that sas quarantined

ran bitdefender and now i have 100 password protected files instead of the 99 as before.

bill

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

I have SAS but not BitDefender so I have not experienced your problem, but if BD is complaining about files that SAS has made read only and quarantined, why not just navigate to the the location of the files and delete them yourself?

The Application Data folder is hidden so a normal search won't find them. You can check the box to tell search to look for hidden files/folders under the Advanced and Other options, or look for them yourself in Explorer:

If you are using Windows Explorer, navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\William xxxxx\

Select Tools, Folder Options, View and select Show hidden files and folders, click OK and now the Application Data folder is visible.

Navigate to wherever your SAS quarantined files are or wherever BD is having a problem:

SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware\Quarantine

This is just like any other folder on your system where SAS has put the afflicted items for safe keeping and out of reach. Delete the afflicted items, but leave the folder.

If BD is complaining about some other folder/files and they are read only or password protected and you are sure you don't need them, use the same process to go to folder/files where BD is having an issue and just whack the files yourself.

It sounds like BD is just giving your warnings which are not the same as errors, so It may be working just fine and there may be some way to configure it to deal with this situation more gracefully than my brute force approach.

You did not give an example of the path/files BD is complaining about, so if this doesn't sound quite right, give more info.

When you are done you may want to then go back in Explorer and chose to rehide the files and folders that are normally hidden so you don't accidentally delete them someday.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users