Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

going back to single boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hi. I'm not sure if this is in the right section, sorry...

Recently my friend installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Thinkpad T60p so that my computer was dual-booted with Ubuntu and Windows XP. Ubuntu was really nice but I think I would like to go back to having all of my computer as XP. I'm not very good with computers and I'm very unsure about how to do this. Also, I don't think I have any Windows XP installation disks so I don't know if its even possible to switch back. Any help would be great :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Before doing this, please backup all your data, and copy and paste it into a Notepad File and print it out.

How to Uninstall Ubuntu using Windows:
  • Boot into your Windows OS.
  • Start Disk Management.
    • To start Disk Management: (Taken from Microsoft Support Site)
    • Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    • Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
    • In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.
  • From within Disk Manager, delete all you Ubuntu Partitions (root, swap, etc). This should be everything except the C: drive
  • Now use your windows disc and boot onto it If you do not have a Windows disc skip to step 10.
  • At the main screen, select R to go to your recovery console.
  • Select your Windows Partition (Should be number 1) and then enter the Administrator Password.
  • Type in the the command "fixmbr" (without the quotes).
  • Type in "exit" (without the quotes)
  • You should now directly boot into Windows. At this point skip to step 11
  • If you do not have the Windows recovery disc you will have to use a third party tool called "MbrFix" Direct Download Link to Site
    • How to use MbrFix
    • Download the utility
    • Place this on a MSDOS formatted floppy, or just save it to your desktop.
    • If you choose to run it from your running computer go to Start>Run. Type in "cmd" (without the quotes). The type in "cd Desktop" (without the quotes).
    • If you choose to use the floppy route, boot off the floppy now.
    • At this point the instructions are the same for both techniques Now type in "mbrfix.exe /drive 0 fixmbr" (without the quotes). This should fix your MBR.
    • Type in exit. If you not using a floppy reboot the computer now
  • If all goes well you would have booted into the Windows OS now. We just have to reclaim the rest of your drive space.
  • Go back to Disk Management and select the main Disk again (the one with the C: on it.)
  • Right Click on the "Unallocated" section and choose New Partition.
  • Create a Primary Partition
  • Use the default settings (which will be the entire drive) and select it to be any open drive that you wish.
  • You can use this drive as a Data drive to store all of your information on it.
I hope this works
Regards
~powerjuce

#3 ambellina

ambellina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Thank you for your help!