Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Drivers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

Could someone help me with finding the drivers for my Dlink DWL 520+ for linux. It should also have WPA support please.

Thanks,

~StickDude101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

What distro?

Have you tried NDISWrapper?

#3 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hi StickDude101,

Don't have any knowledge of your particular network card - I am assuming it is wireless. Linux uses the Windows *.inf file of whatever network card you are using - I have seen some Linux distros state you need the .sys file and/or the .cat file. The only distros I have had the simplest issue of getting wireless to work are:
1. DreamLinux 3.5 rc4 (sadly 3.5 final did/does not work - for me anyway);
2. VectorLinux 6.0 Standard and VecorLinux 6.0 Standard Deluxe - very stable and cannot be beat for me - is the first distro to really successfully run a Netgear WG111T - been searching for the last 2 years.

ndiswrapper never worked for me - DreamLinux and VectorLinux are clearly streets ahead of the competition - both using graphical interfaces without the need of using bash to install; not knocking bash but most people out there would not want to learn bash after being brainwashed by Windoze for years as the only GUI OS that works in the world!

Best regards,
chameleon437

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Just to clear up some misinformation: Linux does not use the Windows drivers for any device. All hardware support in the Linux kernel is written by the Linux kernel developers and third parties specifically for the Linux kernel. There is nothing from Windows in Linux, despite the FUD from Redmond.

You can use Windows wireless drivers under Linux using the NDISWrapper program (NDIS is the internal name for the network API in Windows, hence NDISWrapper "wraps" up the Windows driver for use in Linux.)

NDISWrapper is a terminal utility, that is it's run from the command line (BASH or your preferred command interpreter) There is another program called NDISGTK which provides a point-and-click interface for NDISWrapper.

#5 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

Just to clear up some misinformation: Linux does not use the Windows drivers for any device.

Why then does VectorLinux and DreamLinux request the *.inf file from the Windows Driver disk?

Best regards,
chameleon437

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

Having never used those distros, I can't say. Either it uses NDISWrapper by default or it uses the info in the .inf file to identify the specific wifi device, and then loads the kernel module needed for that device (not a bad idea, actually.)

#7 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

Yes, I would go with that Amazing Andrew. The other cool thing with DreamLinux is that you can install it on a pen drive and add different packages without having to reconfigure the whole package! Pity 3.5 didn't deliver but when you consider the people behind it number the fingers on one hand (not including the thumb) it is pretty impressive. Would have been really cool if they could cater for wireless keyboards and mice.

Best regards,
chameleon437

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

I've never had any trouble using my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse set with Ubuntu (even though it's a Microsoft brand hardware set!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users