Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CTL-ALT-DEL Changed - Please help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bwesson

Bwesson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

Somehow, somewhere in the course of different security programs, registry cleaners & cleanup programs something happend to CTL-ALT-DEL. It used to give a multi-page display starting with the page you last displayed. The first page was active programs in memory - eg Internet Explorer - and good for cancelling a locked-up program. Now all I get is page 2 of the old display - all open files & programs - and nothing else. How can I restore it back to the original functional display?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Have you tried system restore to reverse the changes to before you starting trying out all of these programs?
Computer Pro

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

If you mean the display in Task Manager is no longer showing a multi tab display and all you see is the contents of the Process tab (the second tab), you may be running TM in "tiny footprint" mode.

Try double clicking the left or right gray border area of the TM window to see if the tabs and top menu bar appear. You can toggle back and forth the footprint modes this way.

In Tiny Footprint mode there is also no X button to close TM and it should come back up in regular mode the next time you start it. I don't think tiny footprint mode should be sticking, but there may be a way to force that. Is that how yout TM opens every time?

See what that does for you and report back.

Ah-ha.

I did find a way to make it stick in tiny footprint mode. If you are in tiny footprint mode, and press ALT+F4 to close TM (I was just killing the taskman.exe since there was no X button), the next time you start TM, it comes back up in tiny footprint mode.

Edited by joseibarra, 27 June 2009 - 07:20 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users