Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connect A vista and xp machine on a wireless router to share files, good idea?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

I am planning to connect a vista and xp machine together on a wireless router both with Ethernet cables. I have done some networking before, however, I never did a small network with an xp and vista machine. If I was to start a new fresh small network, which one should I start first? For example, should I install the wireless router first to the xp machine (through ethernet) and then connect the vista machine (through ethernet too) Xp or vista? I also want to share files and folders. I already did some research and all I get is nightmare issues regarding xp and vista sharing files. Please help me out, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

Start with either. With the power off on everything. Plug the cable or DSL modem into the router's WAN port. Run the cables from the router's ports to each of the PC's NIC. Then turn on the modem, let the lights settle. Turn on the router, let the lights settle then turn on each PC. See if they can get online.

For file sharing on Vista check this article out. Loads of info =)

For file sharing on XP check this article out.

The easiest thing to do is turn on the guest account on in Vista and XP, makes it alot easier. And disable Windows firewall while you do this, no need to add that headache to trying to set this up.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users