Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to display a Windows 98 pc monitor on a Vista pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsonander

jsonander

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

I have a ThinkPad I bought in 1999. (I know, roll of the eyes!) It seems to work fine, but the monitor will not work. So I'm trying to display it on my (Toshiba) Vista machine. I hooked up the 15-pin monitor cord between both machines, but I can't get the the monitor image from the (Windows 98) ThinkPad to come up on the Vista machine. I try the function keys on the Vista machine but no luck. Any advice is much appreciated! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

You said that you were pressing the function keys on the Vista machine. You have to press them on the ThinkPad. Also, you do not connect the monitor cord to the Vista machine, you connect it to the Vista monitor.
Computer Pro

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:03 AM

Do you mean you're connecting between two laptops? That can't be done as both connections are outputs.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 jsonander

jsonander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. My idiocy on the cord hook-up. :huh: If the 15-prong jacks are outputs though, is there a way to go from the (Windows 98 laptop) output to the (Vista laptop) input? The Vista machine is a laptop, please note, I do not have a separate monitor. I also have an XP laptop I could use if necessary. Again, I can use the keystrokes on the output machine but - obviously - if the monitor is not working I cannot see the effects of the keystrokes. Maybe it's hopeless but this seems a good geek challenge! :huh: Thanks for any more input.

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

No sorry it just cannot happen. It has to be from Laptop to Desktop, not Laptop to Laptop. You could buy a monitor though. They are not that expensive :huh:
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users