Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Caller ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

My roommate upgraded the TV, Internet, and now Phone package today.

We now get caller ID on our TV's and I know there's a way to get it on our computers too.

When I try various Apps for this, none of them work.

If it is possible; how can I get it working?

I have a scientific atlanta DPC2203C, and a Belkin F5D8236-4.

I just discover that I can log into the modem. As always... I can't figure out the password, and the defaults are nowhere on the net.

Edited by Newb4Life, 26 June 2009 - 05:57 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

I believe the caller ID data...is a digital signal.

Although it comes in on the same cable as base analog TV signals and Internet...it seems to be in the same category as digital cable signals. These cannot be picked up on my computer unless I split the output from the Scientific Atlanta digital channel box...and the computer system must then be set on channel 3 to receive the signal from the output terminal of the control box.

I don't think I've ever seen any caller ID info reflected on my computer when I am recording from the Time-Warner TV outputs.

I could be wrong :thumbsup:, but that's always been my interpretation of what I see versus what I don't see.

Louis

Edit: I suppose that it might show up...if user uses two cable boxes (1 for TV, 1 for computer) and it's a pass-through signal. I have 2 boxes, but I only use 1 because I'm too lazy to take the other in for a replacement.

Edited by hamluis, 26 June 2009 - 07:31 PM.

#3 t3s

t3s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

I was kinda hoping I could tell the router to send it to the network as well. It would make sense for them to do that.

Then again... since when does a multimillion dollar corporation make any sense?

I have to call them tomorrow about setting up the voice mail, :thumbsup: , so I guess I'll have them tell me 'no' over the phone.

I don't think I'll be hooking a box up to my computer any time soon.

Thanks for the info. :huh:

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:34 PM

FWIW: Well...another digital conversion box here in central TX (Time-Warner) costs me $3 a month. I can't go to the grocery store and acquire very much (other than soda and candy) for that amount and I like the potential of using the cable box 30/31 days a month. It comes in handy when I want to record from a channel while actually watching something else on the TV.

Louis

#5 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

FYI - if still interested ... COMCAST now puts up caller-id both on the TV and the computer. You may want to just check out www.comcast.net and read thru their app. Seems that it only works for the primary account holder (computer) but will display on any TV which is powered on. Kindof a "neat to have" and since it is free why not try. The one that I use has a ringer associated with it but this can be disabled. I believe there are some words oround 'smart zone' explaining.

More gadgets..

regards _ed_

#6 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

FYI comcast has an app in their 'smart zone' by which you can get caller-id. If you have comcast and high speed internet you can have caller-id both on TV and computer. It is free. check out www.comcast.net ...

This is the second time I have typed and posted this ... seems the first one went into the ether world (the same place that those odd socks go)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users