Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Issues?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

I've been asked to repair a computer that doesn't seem to want to turn on. When it's plugged in, the light on the PSU flashes rapidly and clicks with each flash. Pressing the power button seems to do nothing at all. Any suggestions as to what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

It definatly could be & probably is [at the least] a PSU issue.

From what you described there is a good chance the motherboard is toat too.

What brand is the power supply ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

I don't see how it's really worth repairing then. What do you suggest I use for recovering the data on the Hard Drive. The only tower that I have that doesn't use SATA doesn't have enough RAM to run the OS on the dead system.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

actually power supplies are very easy, and cheap to replace. If you really want to get the date off it, and ur other computer only has SATA ports, most newer PSUs are backwards compatible just remove a working PSU from a computer of the same age or newer, and put it in the dead computer, and see if it will boot up then. from there u should be able to save the data off it or decide what to do from there. of course, if it doesnt work then it means the problems the motherboard, not the PSU. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

Well, I don't feel like ripping parts out of my computer to put in someone else's, so that's out. I think I'll just stick to recovering the data. Anything else to suggest?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

The easiest way to recover the data is to install the HD out of the dead computer in a working computer.
If it is a IDE drive just hook it up in place of the CD drive [temporarily]
It will show in My Computer
Double click the drive to open it
Double click Documents & Settings
Double click the folder with the user name
You can either open My Documents & pick/choose what to save or send the whole thing to My Documents
Either way, right click what you want to save
on the meu hilite Send to
On the submenu click My Documents
It will be sent to My Documents on the working computer.
You can't save installed programs, office,etc,
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

Thanks. I'll post again if I have any trouble with this.

#8 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

The easiest way to recover the data is to install the HD out of the dead computer in a working computer.
If it is a IDE drive just hook it up in place of the CD drive [temporarily]

It is an IDE drive, but unfortunately my CD drive also uses SATA, and I don't think my mobo has any IDE ports. Any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users