Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100gigs taken by nothing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

my hard drive says that i have 188gigs taken but i only found 88gigs
Could it be hidden files?

oyeah... i also tried to delete my system restore points at disk cleanup but I can still see the points on my system restore ? (i didnt restart yet...)

Attached Files

Edited by ooweirdoo, 26 June 2009 - 02:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

how much stuff have you installed on your computer?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Try running the Disk Cleanup utility and also try Wise Disk Cleaner. It finds all kinds of junk files and cleans them out. It saved me quite a bit of disk space. You can get it from wisecleaner.com.

Edited by The weatherman, 26 June 2009 - 06:06 PM.
Removed Link~Tw

Computer Pro

#4 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

#5 ooweirdoo

ooweirdoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

thanks ill try to ignore registry apps...
but still... where is my 100gig

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

thanks ill try to ignore registry apps...
but still... where is my 100gig

Did you try the Disk Cleanup?
Also i did not mean to try the Wise Registry Cleaner, I meant to try the Wise DISK Clenaner. I guess that I posted a link to the company instead of the direct download to the program itself. My bad.
Computer Pro

#7 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:11 AM

When you tried to remove your System Restore sets were you logged in as ADMINISTRATOR?

#8 Waffles

Waffles

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Make sure you have the option to view hidden files and folders selected (In the control panel select folder options. Under the View tab, in the Advanced setting section, make sure Show hidden files and folders is checked.)

Now look under your user account for a folder called appdata. Vista has a bad habit of creating a duplicate file in appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows. Sometimes its a copy of your desktop, sometimes the Documents, Pictures, Movies or Music folder. As far as I can tell its created to accommodate the installation of legacy software but I'm not sure. Once you've found the offending file make sure you back up the data before you delete it as the relationship between the copy file and the real file is still a little fuzzy to me and I would hate for you to lose something.

#9 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

You can try SpaceMonger. It works on Vista x64 (I've used it here several times myself). It's portable thus requiring no installation. It won't delete anything, but it should show you which directories and files are taking up the most space :huh: .

#10 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

If you have not cleaned out your old System Restore files you will get the situation you are describing.
E.g. I've cleaned mine out recently - so if we take your attached file descriptions in your first posting where one shows 89GB used and the other 186GB my equivalent figures at present show 23GB and 26.5GB i.e. as if there is an extra 3.5GB used somewhere.
Depending on how long you've been running your PC with System Restore on you could have accumulated a large number of old System Restore files that are taking up a lot of HDD space.
I'm pretty sure if you aren't logged in as Administrator when you try to delete all but the last System Restore file it won't action the deletions.
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users