Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows registered to another person?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carsrus

carsrus

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

About a month ago, my home computer became filled with viruses, even with firefox popups came every 5 minutes. So i downloaded spyware terminator and ran it with 166 viruses, but everytime it tried deleting the viruses the computer would restart and i couldnt get rid of them, so finally i just started running in safe mode with networking all the time since it let me on the internet. So, a couple of weeks went by and now, I cant stay on the internet (especially myspace and hotmail), i have to reconnect every 5 minutes. Ive tried firefox, ie7, and netscape. They all say something about proxy refusing to connect or something. And when i try to start windows normally, it says it has been registered by another user and i have to pay to get registered, and it wont let me do anything. And they did not send me a copy of windows with the computer so i have no way to install it again. What do you suggest i do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

<<...it says it has been registered by another user and i have to pay to get registered...>>

Exact message, please?

Louis

#3 carsrus

carsrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

i keep forgetting to bring the paper i had it wrote on. anyway, my main problem is every browser that i am using in safe mode is having trouble connecting to sites, it always says "connection has been reset", and i know that my connection is good. im just tired of reconnecting every couple of minutes to get rid of that message. ii cannot turn my phishing filter on in safe mode, and i know that i must have to reconfigure my browsers someway but i have no idea how.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

They all say something about proxy refusing to connect or something

Sounds like some malware configured your computer to use proxy servers. Some malwares to this to get fake hits on their website from all around the world.

Run Firefox in safe mode from the StartMenu -> Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Safe mode

In Firefox, Open Tools -> Options -> Advanced ->Network -> Settings. Choose No Proxy and click OK.

See if Firefox connects to internet without problem now.

#5 carsrus

carsrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

yes that took care of the proxy problem and thank you very much. im on firefox now, and still every few minutes it says "connection has been reset" and i reload a few times and finally it does go to the site, but it does it every time i click a link. like once it says the message, it does it from then on until i reconnect and it seems like it does it worse on myspace, any ideas? back to the windows problem, it gives me the message "microsoft pirate control, your copy of windows was activated by another user" when started in normal mode, and will not do anything until i pay to get it registered.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

Its a trojan named by Symantec as Trojan.Kardphisher

It gives message that your Windows is pirated and you need to pay to get it activated. And it opts to pay through credit card. Do not pay them. Its a false warning.

Details:
http://www.scmagazineus.com/Symantec-Bewar.../article/34883/

Wait for the moderator to move this topic into right section. Follow the advice of BC experts thereafter.

#7 carsrus

carsrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

ok, so i surfed fine the other night when i got rid of the proxy message. last nigh, it was doing basically the same thing only this time with the message "connection interrupted". it wants to go to the site but the browser wont let it, what is the problem now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users