Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[[H.E.L.P]] Cannot Read My DVD's

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tia08

tia08

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

yesterday i was getting ready to watch my bloody valentine 3D...
It started to play then i paused it so i can full screen it...
when i tried to play it - it didn't want to play.

it didn't wanna read it...
when i put the dvd in - the green light just blinks and it looks like it's trying to read it but i don't even think it is.

anyways- i tried uninstalling the drivers and everything that i recently installed. then restarted...it still didn't play.

when i put a CD-R in it says something like "This file does not have a program associated with it" so i kept trying.
then it opened itunes which could play the CD-R --- i was confused cause in the "MY COMPUTER" it says 0 bytes of 0 bytes available or something like that & it still showed the "This file does not have a program associated with it" if i tried to play it.

Anyways- NOW i am so mad because I wanted to watch and it doesn't wanna even play the damn dvd.

can someone help?

WINDOWS VISTA - 32BIT
anything else you need..please write here.
i need help fixing this stupid thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

Try this: It came from here if you want to read the whole KB. Let me know if it doesn't work and we'll try something else.

EDIT: I don't know why it went blitzo on you, but something similar happened to me and this worked.

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

Edited by DeathStalker, 26 June 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#3 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:32 AM

I already did that...but it only had upperfilter so i deleted that one & lower filter wasn't there.
I restarted and it still isn't working. :thumbsup:

#4 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

can anyone help me?

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

hello tia

see if any of this can help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

LOL Keny 111111 I JUST found that one a few minutes ago for a similar problem on another forum. Those Fixit's are great.

Thanks again BTW for the link to the MS socialforums (or whatever they are called lol). They have all KINDS of answers and they rarely show up for me on a google search. Heck I NEVER remember seeing them until after you directed me there. (Well you directed Whitewood but I went. I doubt he did).

Edited by DeathStalker, 26 June 2009 - 07:51 PM.

#7 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

I'm running vista, but it says "This Microsoft Fix Does Not Apply To Your operating system or Application Version".

#8 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

Okay NOW it only reads certain DVD's - BUT IT WILL NOT PLAY ANY OF THEM!

any help appreciated!

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

Have you looked for updated drivers or a firmware update (I should have asked you that early, sorry). What is the make and model of the DVD player? When my wife's office upgraded their computers they let her have her old one. We set it up for my 6 year old daughter, and soon after it had similar problems. I searched and searched and FINALLY found an old link to an OLD firmware update that fixed, (what was 5 or 6 years ago a known problem) the DVD player. Tell me the make and model and I'll see what I can find.

#10 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:02 AM

i don't even know where to find the make/model. lol

anyways- now it reads some dvd's and plays some dvd's.
it doesn't wanna play the "MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D" in WMP or VLC Player or GOMPLayer.

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

If you remove it, there will be a label that tells you what it is, or is this a laptop? But............

Have you tried reinstalling what ever program you use IE: Nero, or WIndows Media Player ect........?

Sorry for the untimely response, I forgot about this........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users