Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to recover lost files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 speaking

speaking

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Dell Latitude Laptop D600
windows xp sp3
Last night I just closed my laptop instead of shutting it down before going to sleep. When I woke up this morning and opened my laptop it wouldn't wake back up. The power button was lit and so were some other lights at the top of the keyboard but the screen just stayed black. I tried pressing keys on the keyboard and the mouse but nothing worked. Then I pressed the power button and eventually held down the power button- still nothing. So then I unplugged the laptop and removed the battery to shut it off.

When I plugged it back in and turned it on it seemed fine until windows started. Windows is acting as if it had never been used/ restored to factory settings. The familiar green hill and blue sky has returned as my wallpaper and a dialogue box asked me if i'd like to take a tour. All of my programs are still here but all of my settings for them and all of my text/music/video/photo files have been lost. Is there any chance of getting them back? Fortunately, I bought an external drive last week and was in the process of backing data up. Unfortunately, I only got through my photos.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hmmm.... Have you tried restoring to the last Restore Point?

#3 speaking

speaking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

No. What is the best way to do that?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

How To restore Windows XP to a previous state.

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

If the system restore doesn't work and all you really want is to recover your files for backup, you should be able to go to:

c:\documents and settings\user.000\my documents and find what you're looking for. You can then copy them to the current profile's desktop or a folder of your choosing for staging to back them up.

The "user.000" may or may not be there. It will depend if you used the same "username" when you rebooted this morning. If it is not, then look through each user under "documents and settings" and go to each "my documents" folder to find what you're looking for.

I have run into this before and could only come up with the profile being corrupted either in the "user" folder or in the registry. I have not come up with a good solid reason as to why this happens but I have run into this before.

Your files are still on your computer, or they should be, they're just in "limbo".

The only true way I have found to take care of this problem was a wipe and reinstall but it's also possible that someone else has run into this problem and come up with a fix.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users