Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential conflict with symantic aptemp and avira

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SayWhat

SayWhat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hello and greetings to all. I have just recently added Avira to my machine and it may be having a conflict with my Smantic antivirus. Avira had "found" software that is "virus or unwanted program". The kick is that it found it in my Symantic folder, APTEMP.

Per Symantic, "Symantec AntiVirus copies infected files to the APTemp folder before they are quarantined or backed up prior to quarantine. The location of the folder varies, depending on the operating system . For example in Windows 2000, the folder is in the following location:

<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\APTemp"
(http://www.symantec.com/business/support/knowledge_base_results.jsp?SearchTerm=aptemp).

My question is this: Is there a problem leaving them there? If this is a holding area for the file, why not then delete it once it is quarantined? Should I let Avira delete them or leave them be? Can they harm me as they are now? I'm pursuing with Symantic, with no answers as of yet.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,785 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hello SayWhat.

You should not have more than one anti virus product installed and running on your computer at a time. The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.

As to the files in APTEMP. . . it doesn't really matter. You can go ahead and delete them, or leave them be.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 26 June 2009 - 10:49 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users