Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

userinit corrupt [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hello

i have a eee PC 900 series
a friend brought it to me because it was infected
i have run malwarebytes on it several times and each time it would find and delete some more things it started with 62 infected objects and the last scan (scan #4) it found only 2 infected objects. i then ran an online scan with housecall in which found 1 worm koobface i think? and maybe 8-10 vulnerabilities i let Housecall fix the issues and it rebooted. now it will not log into any user account not even in safemode it looads into the user account then immediately logs back out. i have read that it most likely corrupted the userinit and to edit the registry using an ISO and burn to CD but these eee PC's dont have a cd drive built in only usb ports. i have the same PC thats the same as his and i have a 4 gig flash drive and was wondering how i could possibly fix (his) userinit somehow from my PC because i don't know how to make an ISO convert to a flash drive.
on my PC i have a C: and D: drive i assume the D: drive on my PC is a backup but his only has the C: drive so i'm not sure about recovery that way.
any help is always appreciated

thanks again

the infections i remember were koobface,backdoor bot,several trojans,game advance? and there absolutely no antivirus on the PC and the firewall was turned off when i got it.

D_N_M

Edited by D_N_M, 26 June 2009 - 08:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

Moved from XP to the Am I Infected forum. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

Thank you orange blossom
sorry for posting in the wrong forum

D_N_M

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

How to boot to a flash drive:
http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm
Then follow this, using the flash drive instead of the CD drive:

You will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, You'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • [[
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

[b]Didn't the laptop come with a recovery DVD/CD?
Asus's support site is pretty pathetic

Edited by garmanma, 26 June 2009 - 10:14 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

i guess it didn't come with a cd/dvd because they don't have a cd/dvd drive built into them they are too small to fit one in i guess?

and for some reason i can't get the ISO image onto my flash drive to be able to boot from it? it only wants to burn to cd/dvd no option for usb/flash? sorry i'm lost here :thumbsup:

D_N_M

it did come with a restore DVD but it has no cd/dvd drive. i do have a dvd drive on my desktop but it won't read the dvd? i think the dvd drive is screwed. i got Asus on the phone and they said to copy the dvd to an external dvd drive(in which i don't have) and i kindly asked the woman what sense it makes to send a dvd with a computer that does not even have a cd/dvd drive? and i said that is like you calling me to fix your leaking roof and i come and fix your driveway. i'm gonna see if a friend of mine has a dvd drive in his vista desktop and try it there just don't know alot about vista?

Edited by D_N_M, 26 June 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

They say a bootable USB drive is a hit or miss proposition. I have never tried it
A portable enclosure seems the way to go. Of course you're talking about spending some money
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

well it was a definite miss it copied fine to the usb but would not boot the PC. So i called Asus and they said i could send it to them and they would "fix" it but i have to pay shipping and handling of course or get a external dvd drive and usb it directly to the PC. either way it's BS i can't believe i can't simply replace the corrupt/missing userinit somehow? So i will keep scouring the net for a fix. any input is always appreciated.

thanks again

D_N_M

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

Plese let me know how it turns out for you
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image

#9 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

Hello garmanma

i remembered i have an SD card with eeebuntu on it that i have for my lil eee PC so i popped it in and BAM it boots :thumbsup:
so how can i replace the missing/corrupt? userinit file from there? i am still brand new to linux so i'm not sure how to do it so i'm gonna play with it and see. But at least we are getting somewhere i think? :flowers:
any thoughts on this?

Thanks again

D_N_M

i found this http://www.errornerds.com/exe/?k=Userinit....CFU1M5QodS1XhDw but not sure about the download? my netcraft rating shows some Red in the risk rating. and then somehow getting it onto the affected PC?
I dunno i'm pullin my friggin hair out here

Edited by D_N_M, 28 June 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

I'm leery of Regcure, personally
As far as Linux goes, I'm a newbie with that so I wouldn't be that helpful. Perhaps post in our Linux forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/
Mark
Posted Image

#11 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:12 AM

garmanma

if you think that it should be moved to a Linux forum i agree i'm just trying to export ? the userinit and i don't know how?
Please move me to the correct forum garmanma
i'm sorry this is a hassle and i appreciate any help and input from Y'all

D_N_M

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

It would be better if you would start a new topic in the Linux forum with a link back to this topic if anyone wants to know what happened
Mark
Posted Image

#13 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:07 AM

Hello garmanma

Well my friend came by last night and he just went with the eeebuntu install and actually found it interesting and pretty user friendly. So we now have 1 new Linux user. So Please close this topic. as there is no need to go any further and thank you again for the assistance.

D_N_M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users