Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 available for pre-order at significant discounts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

Windows 7 is being released October 22nd, 2009 and as of today, you have ability to pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional upgrades at about half off the estimated retail prices. This pre-order promotion is available through July 11 while supply lasts.If you are planning on upgrading when Windows 7 is released, then these are some great deals. The Windows 7 Home Upgrade has a pre-order price of $49.99, compared to the normal price of $119.99, and the Windows 7 Professional Upgrade has a pre-order price of $99.99, compared to the normal price of $199.99. Each pre-order purchase also allows you to buy up to 3 licenses, so you can upgrade all of your computers, purchase as a gift, or even sell it someone else! However you look at it, this offer is a great deal and for those who are planning to upgrade to Windows 7, it's a sure win.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

I saw that, too.

Seems more than reasonable.

I'm surprised that they are doing this.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

We're being ripped off a bit in the UK though...

US $49.99 ~ UK 30
US $119.99 ~ UK 70

But we have to pay 49 and 99 respectively.

...we shouldn't pay more just because we don't have Internet Explorer installed :thumbsup:

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

I wish they offered straight up licenses, and not just upgrades. I would like to get it for permanent use, I'm using the Win7 RC right now, and it works well(Better than Vista, for sure!).

I need to go find a legit version of Windows 2000 so I can upgrade through my school this fall to XP pro, or perhaps even Win7 when it comes out this fall.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 crumbs744

crumbs744

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:46 PM

This sounded great... until I realised I was in Australia...
:thumbsup:

#6 Joshse

Joshse

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

haha, do you reckon ExPeriEnce will create a tiny windows 7, if so i might just get that :thumbsup:

unless i am going to buy a new computer in the next few months (which is unlikely)

#7 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

So this is just for the upgrade version then? I was hoping to go from Vista 32-bit to W7 64-bit, but from what I've heard I can't use the upgrade version to do this. Does anyone know for sure which version I'd need to buy?

#8 DemiReticent

DemiReticent

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

how do the prices for 7 ultimate compare and is this version worth getting?

also, can i upgrade from the RC?

Edited by DemiReticent, 27 July 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#9 ellenjanuary

ellenjanuary

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:08 AM

I've been running a 7 beta copy for about two months, and it's easily the best OS I've ever used. That said, my advice: Get Linux. :trumpet:
The only reason I'm not running the penguin is that I'm lazy. Windows is like having a tool, whereas Linux is like having a relationship... and in my experience, I wasn't wearing the pants in the family. :thumbsup:

7 may be nearly perfect, but that last percentage point may be a bridge too far. There have been no less that six "unexpected shutdowns" on my build, two BSOD and four - just off. I mean, like 'spooky quick' kind of off. The screen info from the BSODs both pointed to the nVidia display driver - and a couple of weeks of surfing seems to confirm that nVidia and Windows are having some "compatibility issues." If the entire "sudden death syndrome" is merely last minute scramblings for aligning with the actual market product (which, to be fair to MS, doesn't actually exist atm), then - no worries.

Personally, I would wait. Supposedly, in a month and a half, the dark age of vista comes to an end - but when doing all this research over the past couple of weeks, I stumbled across an article where google questions Microsoft if the product will have enough stability to ship on schedule. The issue arises from using a certain configuration to boot 7 from disc causes the installer to flood the system with out-of-control process... I read stuff like "memory leak," and "we're on it" as my eyes started to glaze over - and it's the kind of thing that 99.9% of the population would have neither the motivation nor knowledge to implement. Yet, the tone of the article was that it's the kind of thing that cannot be allowed into production. Of course, it could be just hype, and if I didn't have this "sudden death syndrome" happening; and if I didn't read so much crap... the way I see it, if I'm wrong, it's all sunshine and light for Microsoft. Everybody likes 7, they've already presold the crap out of it, they have had the industry speaking of it in glowing terms for over a year... its going to be no skin off of their noses to keep offering "special deals" and low prices. Remember, they're not so much out to make a profit as to rule the world. They want everybody to use their product, so they're not going to jack the price later to "reward the brand faithful" who pre-order. And if it takes off - and I personally think it just might - they're just going to be more encouraged to keep the deals rolling...

If you wait, you may have to spend a couple of bucks more; but if you don't wait... I'm thinking it's entirely possible that 7 could be non-viable. And I'm cynical enough to believe it's possible that Microsoft would float a "vistasp3" in a 7 box if that should happen. And I wouldn't wish Vista on my worst enemy. :flowers:

-unknowing stuff daily-

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Whoa!

You got BSOD's while running a Beta!

The horror! The shame! The inhumanity!

And, you traced it to Nvidia's drivers. How dare Nvidia soil "the best OS" you ever used!

Thankfully, Linux never has driver problems.

Well, most Linux distros, anyway.

OK, some Linux distros.

All right, already - a few Linux distros.

You got me - no Linux distro is perfect.

However, most likely, no OS is perfect.

Especially a beta.

Even from a company that wants to "rule the world".

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users