Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone suggest a user friendly firewall.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wanderinstar

wanderinstar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:00 AM

I am using Windows XP. I believe this has a built in firewall. Trouble is it does not come into play for about 20-30 secs after I log on. I also have AVG8.5 installed. Ohh, I think there is some sort of firewall installed on my router.
Trouble is I kept getting full page adverts cropping up on my screen and computer ran very slow. I also kept getting a Trojan horse NaviPro, even after I had done a scan with AVG and removed the trojan, it kept coming back. I think I have now got rid of these by following the recomendations of "rigel". Thank you for the excellent directions.
How can i make sure I keep clear of Malware,Viruses,Adware and any other computer nasties. I used to have Comodo firewall but that kept popping messages on my screen everytime I pressed a key, or so it seemed. Hence asking for "user friendly firewall".
All recomendations greatfully recieved.
Ian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

Comodo is a powerful firewall. It is recommended.
You can configure it to not popup messages in the following manner :

1. Install Comodo firewall without any proactive defense (only firewall)
OR disable Proactive Defense after installation(right click on comodo tray icon , choose Defense+ Security Level and set to Disabled.
2. Right click on comodo tray icon and set Firewall Security Level to Safe

By doing this, you wont have popups but security of system will be decreased.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

As you will not want to install a second Antivirus.. be sure to UN check Comodo AV during setup.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Bodaggit23

Bodaggit23

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

I used to have Comodo firewall but that kept popping messages on my screen everytime I pressed a key, or so it seemed. Hence asking for "user friendly firewall".

That was probably the software trying to tell you that there was intruders on your pc.

Those alerts are there for a reason.
Post your system specs in your sig so we don't need to ask...

CPU: i7 920 Batch#3841A525 (@3.43Ghz) Board: EVGA X58 3X SLI RAM: Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600 Hard Drive: 300GB VelociRaptor GPU: EVGA GTX260 SC Core 216
Optical: Sony Optiarc 22x DVD/CD Burner PSU: Corsair TX850W CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 Primary OS: Windows Vista x64 SP2 Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

Outpost Firewall Free.
Online Armour Free.

I am using Windows XP. I believe this has a built in firewall. Trouble is it does not come into play for about 20-30 secs after I log on.

This puzzles me as I thought one of the advantages of Windows inbuilt Firewall was that it offered boot-time protection.

Edit: Added text.

Edited by RedDawn, 26 June 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#6 wanderinstar

wanderinstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:48 AM

Red Dawn,It must have been something to do with the Trojans I had. Because now they have been got rid of the Microsoft firewall has no delay on it.

#7 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:26 AM

Red Dawn,It must have been something to do with the Trojans I had. Because now they have been got rid of the Microsoft firewall has no delay on it.

In that case you could simply stick with Windows Firewall and focus on preventing malware in the first place, through the use of Firefox with the WOT and Adblock Plus addons.

#8 wanderinstar

wanderinstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:00 AM

I am trying to download Comodo Firewall. I unchecked the AV box, but it is now doing something I dont think it should be doing. There is a rectangular box in middle of screen Entitled.

Applying updates.
Please wait while the virus signatures are updated....
This might take a few minutes.
Updating BASE_UPD_END_USER_v1211.cav...

Then there is a level indicator that shows full and a cancel button.
This has been running for about 30 minutes. If I put the cursor over the cancel button it shows the egg timer. I tried switching computer off last time to stop it.But I couldn't get back online again until I restored system.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS?????????

#9 raptor1821

raptor1821

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm having the same issue except it stops at "Updating BASE_UPD_END_USER_v1169.cav..." while installing comodo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users