Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locking up. Please Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:27 AM

Hi I'm trying to fix a computer for an elderly lady. She says it keeps locking up. I'm going to pick it up again in the morning to work on it any recommendations on what I could do to find out why its locking up and fix it? She said it locks up most times when the virus scanner is going (AVG)

Some things I have done already

Uninstall and reinstall AVG
Limit start up programs and services.
Check for viruses and spyware with AVG MBAM and Spybot
Check Disk
Memtest
Defrag
Clean up temp, history and cookies & Cache
I also told her to unplug any external devices like her printer and other items other then the mouse and keyboard.

Any other ideas or anything I can do to test to see whats wrong? Thanks

She cant reformat because she has a program she can no longer get or reinstall.

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 26 June 2009 - 04:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Remove AVG, it's not the only AV that works and some versions have caused problems on systems. I suggest you try Avira Free, http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Anti...nload-6527.html

Tell us how much RAM is installed.

Tell us how much free space exists on the C: partition and how large the partition is.

Check Event Viewer for errors which may shed some light.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Search for any .dmp files which may exist. If there are any, go through the following procedures: Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

756mb ram
50gb hard drive with 39gb free
backup drive 50gb with 48gb free

I checked eventvwr
the only errors have something to do with ATI
and they do not happen when the computer locks up

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

ATI errors (or anything else ATI) has to do with video.

ATI is somewhat notorious for users having problems with their drivers...which may be a consideration. The fact is that any drivers may become damaged/corrupted and create problems for users.

I suggest completely removing the current installed ATI drivers and all software...then rebooting and installing drivers/software anew from either the CD containing the drivers...or the appropriate website.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages...TISoftware.aspx

Louis

#5 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

I have removed ATI and installed the most up to date drivers and software. There is actually 1gb of ram I was guessing when I posted 756mb. It is an 80gb hard drive with 47gb free. Back up drive is 80gb with 75gb free. No new .dmp files in the windows/minidump file. The ones in that file are over a year old I was also not able to figure out how to read any of them. I downloaded the reader but couldn't get it to work.

She uses rhapsody
and has webshots on all the time for her desktop backgound, It changes every few minutes or so to another picture.
She also uses webshots for her screen saver.

Any more ideas?

Event viewer log:

.evt file
http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?g...2a7d31faba6835d

.txt file:
http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?g...f73a078ad26d478

HiJack This log deleted as we do not analyze them in this forum. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 July 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#6 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

Also in the ev eventvwr I keep getting this error it might be happening when it freezes

System Error:
Event ID: 7000
Source: Service Control Manager

The MCSTRM service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

Posting a HJT log...will result in your post being moved to the malware section of this website, a different forum.

Is that what you want?

This forum does not pretend to have the expertise to deal with malware situations...it's an XP operating system forum.

Louis

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

I've removed the HJT log. As I stated previously, we do not analyze them in this forum and thus far nothing that has been stated points to an infection.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

The mcstrm service relates to Real Networks.

If you have any Real programs installed, the program may be damaged. Uninstalling/reinstalling that program ought to take care of the error message.

If you don't currently have any Real products installed...chances are that some remnants have remained behind and need to be removed.

Have you taken a look in Services? Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter. You can start or disable the service from there.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users