Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Stuttering

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brandbills

brandbills

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:33 AM

I built a new computer a little ways back and I have run into some problems with the computer stuttering every few seconds (little pauses or freezes on both the audio and video, then it resumes running normally). It seems to happen when watching videos, listening to music, or playing games. It is very frustrating as I am not computer illiterate (though I am far from advanced), but I just cannot figure out what the problem is. Another odd thing is that the stuttering will usually subside after playing certain games for a while, but I have noticed it seems to come back after I use my CD drive. I'll list the specs below, please let me know if you need any additional information. I would appreciate any help y'all could offer.

Specs:
  • WD Caviar Hard Drive - 1TB
  • WD Caviar Hard Drive - 500GB
  • HT Omega Striker 7.1 Sound Card
  • XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 Video Card
  • Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
  • G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 x 2 (I have heard having all the slots occupied can result in problems. Thoughts?)
  • PC Power & Cooling 750W Power Supply
  • Vista 64-bit SP2, XP 32-bit SP2, Ubuntu Operating Systems (stuttering occurs in all of them)
  • Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
  • SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
  • GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (has onboard sound, could there be a conflict between it and my third party sound card?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:12 AM

Did you install the ICH10 chipset drivers? Are your drives in DMA mode? Did you disable onboard sound?

Yes, having all of the memory slots full will/can cause problems with the memory running at higher speeds, As long as your 3 sticks are in the white slots you should be good to go.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 brandbills

brandbills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:16 AM

Did you install the ICH10 chipset drivers? Are your drives in DMA mode? Did you disable onboard sound?

Yes, having all of the memory slots full will/can cause problems with the memory running at higher speeds, As long as your 3 sticks are in the white slots you should be good to go.

Thank you very much for your response dpunisher. I apologize, I'm not sure I know what you mean by ICH10 chipset drivers; so I guess I don't know if I have installed them. If that is terminology that I am not familiar with for normal chipset drivers, then yes I have. I also am not sure if the drives are in DMA mode, but I saw a page explaining that could result in problems. I asked someone about it but they said they doubted that was the problem. How would I go about checking what mode they are in? I did disable the onboard sound by removing it from the device manager and disabling it in the BIOS (unless I did that incorrectly).

Also, I have 6 sticks filling up all of the slots, which makes for 12Gb of RAM. Do you think I should yank some?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

I got ahead of myself a bit as if you are using SATA drives, then DMA isn't a consideration. ICH10 is your southbridge which controls your drives. Lack of drivers/wrong mode will cause stutters when the drives are accessed. If the drivers are installed, that's about all you can do. Do you notice any HD or optical drive activity when you have the problem?

You might pull the RAM out of the blue slots and see if anything changes.

I built about the same combo last Friday (920 D0+GA-EX58-UD4P+ 6 gigs of RAM) and am still tweeking it. So far no stuttering. I have had it up to 4.1ghz at stock voltage but backed it down as anything over 3.5ghz hasn't made a difference in anything besides benchmarks. Gotta wait for those new RV870 cards in October.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 brandbills

brandbills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

I got ahead of myself a bit as if you are using SATA drives, then DMA isn't a consideration. ICH10 is your southbridge which controls your drives. Lack of drivers/wrong mode will cause stutters when the drives are accessed. If the drivers are installed, that's about all you can do. Do you notice any HD or optical drive activity when you have the problem?

You might pull the RAM out of the blue slots and see if anything changes.

I built about the same combo last Friday (920 D0+GA-EX58-UD4P+ 6 gigs of RAM) and am still tweeking it. So far no stuttering. I have had it up to 4.1ghz at stock voltage but backed it down as anything over 3.5ghz hasn't made a difference in anything besides benchmarks. Gotta wait for those new RV870 cards in October.

Thanks for clarifying your post and teaching me something dpunisher. My drives are SATA so I guess DMA is ruled out. I don't know if I notice any HD or optical drive activity, but I was wondering if accessing was part of the problem. It seems to behave similar to other accessing problems I have read about online. After I use my optical drive the stuttering comes back if it has subsided, so maybe there is a problem with my drivers. I am looking for some new ones to install, maybe I did something wrong initially or left something out. I seem to be having some difficulty finding them though, do you happen to have a URL where I could get em? Again thank you so much, I appreciate your help.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Well, I don't know how much help this is as I reread your post and it stutters in all of your operating systems.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard...-bit)#anchor_os

I can remember having the same problems on an older system, actually two older systems. One was because my chipset drivers weren't installed correctly, the other was because Crysis maxed out my lowly 2 gigs of memory and had my hard drive thrashing when it wasn't supposed to.

You might head over to NVidia and see if there are any new drivers for your videocard as well. I just think there is a hardware/compatability problem somewhere that isn't OS dependant. The fact it stutters in more than one OS really makes me think this is the problem. I do wish you luck with it sir.

#7 brandbills

brandbills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

I agree with you dpunisher. I really appreciate all of your help and good wishes. Thank you.

#8 brandbills

brandbills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

Sorry to bother everyone again, but on a whim I decided to check out DriverAgent (not sure if it's well regarded) and it's telling me that I have a few outdated drivers. Among them are the Intel ICH10 PCI Express Root Ports, which is what my sound card is installed in. From my (admittedly less than knowledgeable) perspective, that would imply that what dpunisher is saying is correct - my chipset is the culprit here. Am I correct in deducing this? If so would installing your link correct this, dpunisher? Also, I have tried to install your link and I don't think I am doing it right; which would imply that I did it wrong the first time around.

I'm really hoping this is the right path.

#9 brandbills

brandbills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hey. Just bumping this thread real quick to say that pulling my sound card fixed the problem, in case anyone was wondering. I also wanted to reiterate my gratitude to dpunisher for helping me out. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users