Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dissapearing startbar and desktop icons!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nphj

nphj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

[B][FONT=Impact] I have a problem that keeps recurring. My start bar and desktop icons dissapear and re-appear every 10 secs or so. Running a spyware protecter and removing tracking cookies helps till i restart my computer and the problem returns???? I have also tried a system restore! If anyone could offer advice it would save me throwing my computer out of the window....frustrated and desperate...Thanks! x x x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:36 AM

What spyware apps do you run?
Do you use an antivirus, is it up to date, and have you run it lately?
Have you run your spyware apps/antivirus in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:28 PM

Like tg1911 said you will want to restart your computer and do the removal process then and then turn on your computer in normal mode and see if that works. If it does great but if it dosn't you want want to do a Hijack This log and post your results in the hijack This forum on BC's website.

#4 spoziuk

spoziuk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

try looking for a file named mediaakk.exe in c:\program files\media access
that was the root of my problem.
as other users have said start your computer in safe mode or you will not be able to delete it as it auto runs when you explorer starts up.

#5 helliel

helliel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:16 PM

How do you go about doing a Hijack log because none of my desktop item show nor my start menu and my computer slows to halt unless end process Explorer.exe in Task mananger

#6 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

follow this link at BC to run a Hijack This log! I don't know if it will help your problem but it may fix it.

How to submit a Hijack This Log

Hijack This Download Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users