Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirections [Split topic]

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DocArtie

DocArtie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

I seem to have the same virus (assuming it is a virus). I am running Vista on an HP desktop. I've downloaded and run the MalwareByte's anti malware program as well as the SuperAntiSpyware program but the problem persists. I just want my computer back. Incidentally, I can't seem to navigate to some sites that I previously was able to. Is this also a byproduct of this infection? Appreciate your help.

Doc

Split from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/232359/overclickcn-think-its-a-virus-that-affects-google/ ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 June 2009 - 11:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:13 AM

What kind of anti virus program are you using? The person from the other topic this one was split from scanned with AVG and it failed to detect anything.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 DocArtie

DocArtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

Embarassed to say this, but NONE. I went through a very bad situation with PC-Cillin causing BSOD daily. Took many hours and $ to figure out that the anti-virus was causing it. Since then I've been lazy and hesitant (don't know which is the stronger motivator...maybe cheapness) to get a new anti-virus program. Truth is that I've gone over a year now and this is my first virus. In any event, it sounds like many of the common programs are missing this virus anyways (Norton, AVG, McAfee). I still just wanna get rid of this thing. When all is said and done, now I'll go buy a program but 1)After the problems fixed and 2) On a good recommendation from someone in this site :thumbsup:
Doc

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

Don't go buy one. There are tons of good free ones you can download. These are free for home use only.

I'd try Avira Antivir first. Download it and follow the onscreen steps to install it. The only change you should make during the installation is whether or not to register with them as a user. Once installed, update it (a nag screen will pop up during installation, but this can be turned off later if you decide to stick with Avira as an AV program. I've used it for 2 years now). Run a complete system scan using Avira and see if it finds anything. If it doesn't, uninstall it.

Then, download Avast! Home Edition. Install it, update it, and run a full scan with it. I have no experience using Avast but its a decent AV program from what I hear.

If neither of these AV programs find anything, I don't think you have an infection. We can take other steps if both of these scans come up empty.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 DocArtie

DocArtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Thanks. I'm at work now but I'll do it once I get home. G-d I love this site. So nice to have people who know their stuff and are willing to share.
Doc

#6 DocArtie

DocArtie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

OK...Long weekend. Anyways, I installed and ran the Avira. It seemed to have worked but then when I went back on IE later, it was overclick.cn again (but not always--more like half the time). So I installed Avast and ran it (I also deleted the Avira program). It seems to have worked but I'm not convinced since the problem recurred so quickly. Anything else I should do?
Doc

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

Hi DocArtie,

In the thead your post was split off from, Boopme recommended running Goored Fix. If your computer is working now, I would wait to run anything further except ATF Cleaner and it would be a very good idea for you to install both Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster. I'll give you the instructions for these. Spybot's immunization feature and Spyware Blaster help against IE infections. ATF Cleaner will remove your :temporary files which is a way many forms of malware get started.

Here are the instructions:

Step 1: ATF Cleaner

If you're running XP, please run ATF cleaner according to the following instructions. If you're using Vista, right-click on the icon and select "run as Administrator".

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.

• Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Step 2: Spybot S&D

There's a turtorial on this tool at Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

Be sure to update it, run it, and then use the Immunize feature.

Step 3: SpywareBlaster

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

Step 4: Finally, please update your Java

The newest Java download and installation should remove old versions of Java. Check add/remove programs after we run the installation to see if this was the case. If you're not sure, ask.

Please go to Current Java Download and do the following:* Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 14.
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
* Click on Continue.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u14-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Double-click on the Java installation program on your desktop and allow it to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u14-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")

Let me know how this went? WEre you able to install everything?
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users