Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start windows, fix with new drive & copy old?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 the_frog_princeferes

the_frog_princeferes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:49 PM

After of many days of dealing with this and unable to find a virus or run and anti spy or malware I found an ABCJMP.exe malware. Using this site stumbled into how to run Malwarebytes when it wouldn't load which I could not find in a search. I renamed the program file from a .exe to a .bat then I right clicked on the icon and clicked run. It found a lot of stuff but had to reboot to remove some of it. I ran it again and it found more but again had to reboot to remove. The problem is now windows will not start.

My solution is to install a new drive install the dell windows recovery disk in one partition copy the old drive into another partition and re-associate files and programs. I plan on using parted magic to do this. If anyone has a better idea please let me know, I will be starting this process tomorrow morning 26 June at about 10:00am.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by the_frog_princeferes, 25 June 2009 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:16 PM

i don't think you should have to copy the old drive . can you boot from the "dell windows recovery disk" and repair windows ?
if you have a copy of windows i would install windows on the new drive and add a virus scanner. then add the old drive as slave . scan old drive with virus scanner. re-install programs on new drive so windows registry will be written properly. move associated files from old drive to new drive (everything you want to save). reformat old drive and use for extra storage.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:34 AM

My solution is to install a new drive install the dell windows recovery disk in one partition copy the old drive into another partition and re-associate files and programs. I plan on using parted magic to do this. If anyone has a better idea please let me know, I will be starting this process tomorrow morning 26 June at about 10:00am.

I imagine it would be easier and quicker to just reinstall Windows and then reinstall your programs. Plus you won't have to fork out for a new drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 the_frog_princeferes

the_frog_princeferes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

I should have stated the reason to copy the drive is to save the thousands of files that are on it that are not backed up. I would of course reinstall the software and copy the files.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

In that case you can copy all your important files off the hard drive with a live Linux CD.

http://lifehacker.com/software/disk-recove...t-cd-192982.php
http://reviews.ebay.com/Windows-File-Recov...000000001612216
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users