Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Azureus downloading problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:32 AM

Well, I'm not sure if I should even be talking about this here, since technically I know it's an activity that is frowned upon here in Cyberland -- but I'm going to try anyway. If this is an inappropriate topic to discuss here, please just let me know and then delete the post. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Anyway! On to my question.

I've been using Azureus as a Bittorrent client for almost six months now. I use it to download some movies, but *mainly* I use it to download full seasons of my favorite TV shows (The Simpsons, King of The Hill, Family Guy...)

Now. I have all the seasons of the Simpsons, and I found that usually it took, on average, about 24 hours to download them. That seemed like a long time to me, but since I leave my computer on pretty much 24/7 anyway, I didn't really mind.

Then I started trying to download King of the Hill seasons, and that's when my problem started. It took nearly FOUR DAYS to download Season 1, even though the file size was about the same as a full season of the Simpsons.

I'm wondering what in the world could be going wrong. The download speeds I'm getting are ridiculously slow most times (well, the highest I've been getting is 20 kb/s maximum).

I read a post on here about Cable Nut, and I downloaded it and tried it, but it wasn't doing a damn thing for me. As a matter of fact, it seemed to slow things down even more, so I uninstalled it and things still didn't change.

I don't know if I need to configure my firewall or what, but if I do, I have no idea how to do it. (Right now I'm running a 15-day free trial of ZoneAlarm Pro, but I'm thinking about just going back to the Windows Firewall).

Like I said, I've got no idea how to configure my firewall, if that's what I need to do. I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone could offer any help! This is really beginning to irk me.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ganna

ganna

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:47 PM

Hi there..I also use the same program but I'm not sure if I can help too much, I was using it with the Windows firewall & there is a way so that you can select the ports so your dl speeds increase.

Here's may be why your speeds have decreased with ZoneAlarm

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/ZoneAlarm

I personally didn't see much difference though now I have switched to the Zone Alarm firewall & if anything my speeds don't seem to be that bad. I too have cablenut & haven't really noticed much difference.

If you revert back to the Windows firewall, a way to help increase speed is to open the ports 6881-6889

Here are the directions for opening ports in the Windows XP firewall:

1. Open the 'Network Connections' folder (click Start, then Control Panel, then Network and Internet Connections, then Network Connections.)

2. Click the shared connection or the Internet connection that is protected by Internet Connection Firewall, and then, under Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

3. On the Advanced tab, click Settings. For each port you wish to forward, (i.e. 6881, 6882, ... 6889) do the following:

(a) On the Services tab, click Add and enter all of the following information:
In Description of service, type an easily recognized name for the service, such as "BitTorrent".

(:thumbsup: In Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network, enter 127.0.0.1 (this means "the local machine.")

© In both External and Internal port number for this service, enter the port number, e.g. 6881.

(d) Select TCP, then OK.
It's great being an anorak

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:47 AM

Tried what you suggested.....but it's two days later and my file is STILL downloading. And according to Azureus, there's still a day and a half left before it finishes.

I can't figure this out at all....but thanks for trying to help.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

#4 ganna

ganna

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:24 AM

np...pm me if you find out a reason, if it's no problem of course!
It's great being an anorak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users