Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with b.exe Trojan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 JR_White

JR_White

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hi folks -

Somehow I wound up infected with the b.exe trojan on my system.

Periodically, it seems to keep launching Internet Explorer (ver. 7). I can only imagine how dangerous the sites are that it is visiting. Also, I get the Microsoft error box within IE7 that specifically addresses the file "b.exe". This is the box that gives you the option of sending or not sending the error to Microsoft.

I followed the instructions per the preparation guide and am including the dds.scr logs. The logs from the DDS.txt file appear below this message and I've attached the Attach.txt file.

Also, my anti-virus popped up a warning about msa.exe, but I think I was able to get rid of that with the scan. Maybe the anti-virus detected it when b.exe sent IE7 to one of those sites. I can't be sure.

I'd have to call myself a beginner at this, but I think I covered everything needed.

I'd be very grateful if someone could take a look and let me know how I can permanently rid my system of this threat.

Thanks very much!
John

DDS (Ver_09-05-14.01) - NTFSx86
Run by John at 22:39:40.08 on Thu 06/25/2009
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_11
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.2047.229 [GMT -4:00]

AV: AVG Anti-Virus Free *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {17DDD097-36FF-435F-9E1B-52D74245D6BF}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TimounterMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox2.0\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\Toolbox\StatusClient\StatusClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OrderReminder\OrderReminder\OrderReminder.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox2.0\Javasoft\JRE\1.3.1\bin\javaw.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\msa.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\dds.scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = hxxp://www.google.com/
uInternet Settings,ProxyOverride = <local>;*.local
BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper: {06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelper.dll
BHO: AVG Safe Search: {3ca2f312-6f6e-4b53-a66e-4e65e497c8c0} - c:\program files\avg\avg8\avgssie.dll
BHO: XML Class: {500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} - c:\windows\system32\msxml71.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper: {761497bb-d6f0-462c-b6eb-d4daf1d92d43} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class: {e7e6f031-17ce-4c07-bc86-eabfe594f69c} - c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
uRun: [ctfmon.exe] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "c:\progra~1\panicw~1\pop-up~1\PSFree.exe"
uRun: [LightScribe Control Panel] c:\program files\common files\lightscribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
uRun: [Cognac] c:\docume~1\john\locals~1\temp\b.exe
mRun: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
mRun: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
mRun: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
mRun: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
mRun: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
mRun: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
mRun: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] c:\program files\acronis\trueimage\TrueImageMonitor.exe
mRun: [AcronisTimounterMonitor] c:\program files\acronis\trueimage\TimounterMonitor.exe
mRun: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "c:\program files\common files\acronis\schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
mRun: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "c:\program files\adobe\reader 8.0\reader\Reader_sl.exe"
mRun: [itype] "c:\program files\microsoft intellitype pro\itype.exe"
mRun: [IntelliPoint] "c:\program files\microsoft intellipoint\ipoint.exe"
mRun: [<NO NAME>]
mRun: [StatusClient] c:\program files\hewlett-packard\toolbox2.0\apache tomcat 4.0\webapps\toolbox\statusclient\StatusClient.exe /auto
mRun: [TomcatStartup] c:\program files\hewlett-packard\toolbox2.0\hpbpsttp.exe
mRun: [OrderReminder] c:\program files\hewlett-packard\orderreminder\orderreminder\OrderReminder.exe
mRun: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
mRun: [QuickTime Task] "c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
mRun: [iTunesHelper] "c:\program files\itunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
mRun: [AVG8_TRAY] c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgtray.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\john\startm~1\programs\startup\openof~1.lnk - c:\program files\openoffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\winzip~1.lnk - c:\program files\winzip\WZQKPICK.EXE
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\micros~3\office11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe
IE: {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - {FF059E31-CC5A-4E2E-BF3B-96E929D65503} - c:\progra~1\micros~3\office11\REFIEBAR.DLL
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_11-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {8BBDC81D-81B3-49EE-87E8-47B7A707FAE8} - hxxps://www2.gotomeeting.com/default/applets/g2mdlax.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0011-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_11-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_11-windows-i586.cab
Handler: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - c:\program files\avg\avg8\avgpp.dll
Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
STS: Fences: {ec654325-1273-c2a9-2b7c-45a29bce2fbd} - c:\program files\stardock\fences\DesktopDock.dll
LSA: Authentication Packages = msv1_0 relog_ap

================= FIREFOX ===================

FF - ProfilePath - c:\docume~1\john\applic~1\mozilla\firefox\profiles\ede5mj7t.default\
FF - prefs.js: browser.startup.homepage - hxxp://www.google.com
FF - component: c:\program files\avg\avg8\firefox\components\avgssff.dll

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R1 AvgLdx86;AVG Free AVI Loader Driver x86;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgldx86.sys [2009-5-7 327688]
R1 AvgMfx86;AVG Free On-access Scanner Minifilter Driver x86;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgmfx86.sys [2009-5-7 27784]
R1 AvgTdiX;AVG Free8 Network Redirector;c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys [2009-5-7 108552]
R2 avg8wd;AVG Free8 WatchDog;c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgwdsvc.exe [2009-5-7 298776]
S3 ALSysIO;ALSysIO;\??\c:\docume~1\john\locals~1\temp\alsysio.sys --> c:\docume~1\john\locals~1\temp\ALSysIO.sys [?]

=============== Created Last 30 ================

==================== Find3M ====================

2009-06-25 18:20 327,688 a------- c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgldx86.sys
2009-06-25 18:20 11,952 a------- c:\windows\system32\avgrsstx.dll
2009-05-07 19:34 108,552 a------- c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys
2009-05-02 15:38 1,521,763 a------- c:\windows\Hot Keyword Agent Uninstaller.exe
2009-03-04 20:23 60,744 a------- c:\documents and settings\john\g2mdlhlpx.exe
2006-06-23 02:48 32,768 a----r-- c:\windows\inf\UpdateUSB.exe

============= FINISH: 22:40:05.72 ===============

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hi -

I understand that the folks who review our requests are very busy, so I am just updating this post/request with some additional information that may be helpful. My AVG Resident Shield popped up with what I think is the complete name for the trojan that has infected my system.

It's called Generic13.BOMZ.

When I clicked on the 'Move to Vault' button, I got a warning that a forced removal could cause system instability or even a crash. I clicked cancel waiting for better removal instructions here.

I took a screen shot of the resident shield box that came up and am attaching it to this updated post. It's in jpg format.

Thanks again.
John

Hello JR_White,

We ask that once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your thread or make further replies until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The reason we ask this or do not respond to your requests is because that would remove you from the active queue that Techs and Staff have access to. The malware staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

That is why I have made an edit to your last post, instead of a reply. Please do not multiple post here, as that only pushes you further down the queue and causes confusion to the staff.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

The weatherman
(Moderator)

Attached Files

Edited by The weatherman, 26 June 2009 - 05:35 PM.

#3 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hello JR_White,

Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt.
Please post the contents of that document.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from one of these places:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...&tag=button
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html
http://www.besttechie.net/mbam/mbam-setup.exe

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply along with a fresh HijackThis log.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#4 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hi Sifu Mike -

I completed the instructions as follows:

1.) Ran security check. Will post checkup.txt results below.

2.) Installed and ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (along with update).

3.) Instructed it to remove everything it found. Will post log below beneath checkup.txt results.

4.) Ran another HJT log (I believe you were referring to the dds.scr software that I originally ran). I will attach the DDS.txt and Attach.txt files to this post.

Here is what happened. The Anti-Malware software did run into some problems removing some items and instructed that I would have to reboot the machine to complete the removal. I did this, but after Windows shut down, it would not restart. I was forced to hit the reset button and choose "Last Know Good Configuration". Windows then started up. I wasn't sure if it was wise to choose any other option.

Is this an indication of a problem? Should I re-run the anti-malware software?

I will hold off until you have a chance to review all of the attached files and included logs and advise on the best course of action.

Thanks very much! I look forward to your update.

John

***** Here is the CHECKUP.TXT log: *****

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.98.4
Windows XP Service Pack 2
Out of date service pack!!
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
AVGFree8.5
Antivirus up to date!
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Java™ 6 Update 11
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player 10
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

AVG avgwdsvc.exe
AVG avgtray.exe
AVG avgrsx.exe
AVG avgnsx.exe
DNS Vulnerability Check:

GREAT! (Very random)

Scan took 36 seconds.
`````````End of Log```````````

***** Here is the log from the Anti-Malware Software: *****

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2353
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6/29/2009 7:48:57 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-29 (19-48-57).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 175452
Time elapsed: 28 minute(s), 1 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 2
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 9
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\msa.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Failed to unload process.
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temp\b.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Failed to unload process.

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml71.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xml.xml (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xml.xml.1 (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{56acb669-4139-5611-cbba-f5acb0f4db09} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cognac (Rogue.Multiple) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\XML (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ColdWare (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\cognac (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\msa.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temp\b.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msxml71.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
c:\documents and settings\John\local settings\Temp\e.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\John\local settings\Temp\c.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\documents and settings\John\local settings\Temp\a.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{5B57CF47-0BFA-43c6-ACF9-3B3653DCADBA}.job (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{783AF354-B514-42d6-970E-3E8BF0A5279C}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

***** The new DDS.txt and Attach.txt files are attached to this post *****

Attached Files

#5 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hi JR White,

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

Updating Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 14.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • At the Select Platform and Language for your download drop down box
    Select Windows and Mult-Language
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement" then press Continue ( Selecting Windows will give you the 32 bit version. )
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
    Java 6 Update 11
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u14-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.

I was forced to hit the reset button and choose "Last Know Good Configuration". Windows then started up. I wasn't sure if it was wise to choose any other option.
Is this an indication of a problem? Should I re-run the anti-malware software?

Since you chose Last Known good Configuration, we are probably back to where
we were before you run Malwarebytes.

Run Malwarebytes again and post the log. If it wont reboot after running Malwarebytes then chose "Last Know Good Configuration" again.

Ran another HJT log (I believe you were referring to the dds.scr software that I originally ran). I will attach the DDS.txt and Attach.txt files to this post

No, that is not what I asked for. The DDS.txt log is not a Hijackthis log.

Please download and install Hijackthis by following the instructions here: http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-Hijack....html?tag=mncol

Let it install in the default folder C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
Please post it.
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#6 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hi SifuMike -

1.) I uninstalled the old Java and installed the newer version. The PC still got stuck on the reboot. Had to hit reset again, but this time, I chose "Start Windows Normally". Windows then started up OK. Do you know why this would happen?

2.) I re-ran Malwarebytes and it found no infections. No reboot was necessary. Log is included below.

3.) I ran HJT. The log will appear below the Malwarebytes log.

Please let me know if we're all clear or if you spot anything.

Thanks again!
John

***** Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Log *****

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2353
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

6/29/2009 11:27:28 PM
mbam-log-2009-06-29 (23-27-28).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 175215
Time elapsed: 25 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

***** HJT Log *****

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:28:53 PM, on 6/29/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TimounterMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox2.0\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\Toolbox\StatusClient\StatusClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OrderReminder\OrderReminder\OrderReminder.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox2.0\Javasoft\JRE\1.3.1\bin\javaw.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TrueImageMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcronisTimounterMonitor] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\TimounterMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itype] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StatusClient] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox2.0\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\Toolbox\StatusClient\StatusClient.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TomcatStartup] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Toolbox2.0\hpbpsttp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OrderReminder] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OrderReminder\OrderReminder\OrderReminder.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {8BBDC81D-81B3-49EE-87E8-47B7A707FAE8} (GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar Web Starter) - https://www2.gotomeeting.com/default/applets/g2mdlax.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Fences - {EC654325-1273-C2A9-2B7C-45A29BCE2FBD} - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Fences\DesktopDock.dll
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

--
End of file - 7660 bytes

#7 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hi JR White,

I think you have some malware still hiding, so we will run ComboFix.

You should NOT use Combofix unless you have been instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert.
It is intended by its creator to be used under the guidance and supervision of an Malware Removal Expert, not for private use.

Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.
Further, ComboFix logs are not permitted outside the HijackThis forums and then only when requested by a HJT Team member.

You need to disable your AVG Antivirus before running ComboFix, as it will prevent it from running.

To disable AVG antivirus:
Please open the AVG Control Center program -> double-click on the "AVG Resident Shield" component (looks like this: Posted Image) -> deselect the "Turn on AVG Resident Shield" checkmark and save the setting.
When you need to enable the AVG Resident Shield, ( I€™ll let you know when) just open the AVG Control Center program -> double-click on the "AVG Resident Shield" component -> select the "Turn on AVG Resident Shield" checkmark and save the setting.

Note: If you already have a copy of ComboFix on your system it is essential that you delete it before downloading this copy.

Please visit this webpage for instructions for downloading and running ComboFix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

To work properly, you must install ComboFix on the Desktop..
Post the log from ComboFix in your next reply,

A caution - ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making IE the default browser.
ComboFix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal and increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell me.
Have no other programs running. Your Task Bar should be clear of any program entries including your Browser.
Do not run Combofix more than once.
Do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed, as this may cause the process to stall or your computer to lock.
The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.
Even when ComboFix appears to be doing nothing, look at your Drive light. If it is flashing, Combofix is still at work.

Posted Image

#8 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

HI SifuMike -

Your cautions below concern me.

A caution - ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making IE the default browser.
ComboFix prevents autorun of ALL CD, floppy and USB devices to assist with malware removal and increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell me.

I don't care about having to reset Firefox as my default browser, but the other issues worry me.

Regarding this warning:
Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

This really concerns me. While I would only use this as you are directing, I can't take a chance that something unexpected will happen. It's one thing if someone experienced uses this software and would have a good idea of what to do if something unexpected happened. I wouldn't have a clue what to do in that situation, and I can't take a chance of completely hosing my system.

Two questions:
1.) What leads you to believe I still have some malware hiding?

2.) Is there another route we can take?

Thanks.
John

#9 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:08 AM

Under supersvision, Comobfix is safe to use. Thousands use it every day. I put the warning on there so novices will know never to run it on their own. We have had cases where novices have used it (unsupervised), crashed their computer and then want us to clean up their mess.

1.) What leads you to believe I still have some malware hiding?

I cant give away my secrets.

2.) Is there another route we can take?

Yes, but much more work for you and me.

Edited by SifuMike, 30 June 2009 - 12:09 AM.

Posted Image

#10 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

While I certainly don't want to make things difficult for you, I'd like to take a safer route. Also, I'd really like to avoid the autorun changes that ComboFix will make to my system.

Can you give me an idea of how much more work is involved? I don't mind taking the extra steps.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

John

#11 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

While I certainly don't want to make things difficult for you, I'd like to take a safer route

I would not recommend an unsafe program.

Also, I'd really like to avoid the autorun changes that ComboFix will make to my system.

The autorun feature is disabled as a means of protecting your system.

Malware authors have been exploiting the autorun/autoplay feature for quite some time now, so the author of ComboFix, in an effort to help protect your computer from becoming infected via that avenue, configured ComboFix to disable it.

Many security apps disable it as well, and even Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715/ recommends disabling it.

Disabling autorun/autoplay does not prevent you from accessing those media sources. They are still available by opening My Computer and accessing the source drive (cd, dvd, usb flash or external harddrive). Pictures on a camera can still be accessed/transfered through My Pictures and selecting Get Pictures from a Scanner or Camera. Media can also be accessed via the program you intend to use it with, such as music cds accessed via Media Player, blank cds via your burning program, image handling software provided with the camera, etc.

I do recommend you leave the feature disabled and get into the habit of accessing those media devices manually.

Please read Miekiemoes article about autorun.
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/11/ple...torun-asap.html

Can you give me an idea of how much more work is involved? I don't mind taking the extra steps

It means I have to remove what ever malware we find manually - which is lots more work for me. We use a tool called OTS to scan your computer, make a log and then I examine it for malware and post back what to remove.

Edited by SifuMike, 30 June 2009 - 12:39 AM.

Posted Image

#12 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:02 AM

Well. . .you're probably going to hate me, but can we go the OTS route?

After reading through the ComboFix guide, I'm concerned about potentially losing my internet connection and having all the restoration steps not working. If I can't get it restored (even with help from the forum), I don't like the idea of having to call Comcast for help.

Sorry about this Mike.

John

#13 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

I think you worry too much. :thumbup2:

I have not seen "losing my internet connection and having all the restoration steps not working" in very, very long time.
In fact, by default ComboFix installs Recovery Console. Recovery Console is a great last resort tool for all computers and should be mandatory on every computer.

Did you disable the autorun feature? That is a malware gateway. Microsoft recommends you disable it.

Before running a new scan let's clean out the temporary folders.

Download ATF Cleaner to your Desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Click Select All found at the bottom of the list.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser, do this also:
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
  • NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser, do this also:
  • Click Opera at the top and choose Select All from the list.
  • Close ALL Internet browsers (very important).
  • NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Now download OTS.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a program named OTS on your desktop.

Note: You must be logged on to the system with an account that has Administrator privileges to run this program.
  • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
  • Open the OTS folder and double-click on OTS.exe to start the program (if you are running on Vista then right-click the program and choose Run as Administrator).
  • In the File age section click on 90 days.
  • Under Additional Scans click the EXTRAS button
  • Do not change any other settings.
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
  • Save the file to your desktop or other location where you can find it.
  • Submit file sample
  • Open to the Submission Channel.
  • Under Link to topic where this file was requested, input:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=236768&st=0&gopid=1320550&#entry1320550
  • Click Browse and select the OTS log
  • Under the comments section, say that SifuMike asked for the submission.
  • Then select Send File to send it
  • After that you should get a confirmation if it was uploaded successfully.
Let me know when you have uploaded the log.

Edited by SifuMike, 30 June 2009 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image

#14 JR_White

JR_White
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

With regards to disabling auto-run, how will this affect WinXP picking up my external hard drives when I plug the USB cable in?

Will windows still automatically pick them up and show the drives available in windows explorer? Or will I have to do something extra after plugging them in?

Typically, after plugging them in, I see a box come up that shows the drive running through (reviewing) all the files. I usually just hit cancel. After that, I see another box come up with several options. I just choose to open the drive in a folder-view and see the drive show up in explorer.

Will disabling auto-run simply stop this process from launching and just show the available drive ready to use?

Thanks.
John

#15 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Members
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hi

Will disabling auto-run simply stop this process from launching and just show the available drive ready to use?

I am fairly sure it will.

Disabling autorun/autoplay does not prevent you from accessing those media sources. They are still available by opening My Computer and accessing the source drive (cd, dvd, usb flash or external harddrive). Pictures on a camera can still be accessed/transfered through My Pictures and selecting Get Pictures from a Scanner or Camera. Media can also be accessed via the program you intend to use it with, such as music cds accessed via Media Player, blank cds via your burning program, image handling software provided with the camera, etc.

As a double check, post your questions on our Windows XP Home and Professional forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

Edited by SifuMike, 30 June 2009 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users