Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a PC, any recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stghm

stghm

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

I haven't built a computer before, but I'd like to have a nice desktop to play games on, as well as to hook up to my HDTV to watch movies (and play games). Also, I enjoy amateur video editing.

This is what I was thinking:

CPU :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

Motherboard:
ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 with a P45 chipset

RAM:

OCZ Platinum Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Graphics:
nVidia GTX 285

HDD:
Raid 0 1TB 7200rpm drive, backing up regularly to an external drive. Haven't picked a specific one yet.

Windows 7 RC until I can buy a full copy of Win7

I'm not sure about the motherboard and memory, I had a hard time choosing one (DDR2 or DDR3)
I need to choose a power supply as well. Would a mid-tower work for this?

Any recommendations?

I've already got a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and don't want to spend more than 1200 to 1500.

Edited by stghm, 25 June 2009 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:33 AM

It seems like a decent gaming system. Of course, to my knowledge, a 64-bit operating system is required to recognize more than 3.5 GB of memory.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 stghm

stghm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:09 AM

It seems like a decent gaming system. Of course, to my knowledge, a 64-bit operating system is required to recognize more than 3.5 GB of memory.

Yes, I intend on using a 64-bit version of Win7.

I'm considering going for a Core i7 920 instead though...

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

You can get a more cost effective setup with a Phenom II, the i7's are intended for high performance PC's and are, in my opinion, very overpriced. Here's a suggested setup. For your budget, you can get a very good PC.

Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP - This is a full ATX case which is suggested with high performance cards. It is also an aluminum case which, in my opinion, are better made than steel ones. $189

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX - This board supports AMD's newest processors, DDR3, and Crossfire. $179

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB - Spec wise, this beats the GTX 285 and can run most games very well. $379 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W - This is overkill for your setup, but if you want to Crossfire the cards, you will have plenty of power available. $239 (Before $30 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz - This is AMD's current flagship processor. It has a high clock speed and, since it is Black Edition, the multiplier is unlocked making it very easy to overclock. $245

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - You need DDR3 memory to run on the motherboard. $65

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - I don't suggest using RAID 0 since if one drive fails, you lose all the data. You can buy two of these drives for less than the price of a 1TB drive. $58

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - You need one to load software. $26

Total Price: $1,383 before rebates

3939.png

#5 Contract_killa32

Contract_killa32

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

Yea i was looking for the same type of computer..
but just for playing games.. but my budget was around $700..
i dont need a super computer just one that will let me play games
lag free.. PM me please if anyone can help me out..

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Yes, I intend on using a 64-bit version of Win7.

I'm considering going for a Core i7 920 instead though...

Why a Core i7? Are you editing HD quality videos? If not why spend the money for something you neither need nor will get full use of? For that matter, why use a Q9550 when there are a number of Duo-core processors out now at a fraction of the cost that will run any game you play just as well. Games don't use 4 cores, they use 2.

Check this out. It's an awesome guide for buying your parts. It explains what everything does, why one brand sucks and another is good, and is fairly up to date on pricing. It was written about a month ago.

Contract-Killa: Check that link out as well. You will find you have a choice of good builds you can do for your price range.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Some games do use all four cores but programmers are just now starting to utilize the additional cores. The website is pretty much a mirror of my suggested setup. Buying a quad core CPU now will futureproof yourself for future releases. This is important if, you're like me, you choose to buy a new PC once every five years or so. A Phenom II 955 will obviously run faster than a 720 unless the 720 is substantially overclocked. DDR3 motherobards and RAM are coming down in price. Given the budget, DDR3 will not break the bank. I agree somewhat with that the site said about video cards. Brand loyalty is largely unimportant, but you should get the graphics card you can afford. That way, you're not stuck upgrading soon after the purchase.

3939.png

#8 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

updated better link

Edited by case.bolt, 02 July 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

That link provides an excellent overview of the memory limits. In general, with most non-server releases, you need a 64-bit OS to run if you want 3.5GB or more to be recognized.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users