Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playing "Backed Up" movies in Media Center

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

i had this same issue when I got my new computer with Vista. All of my backed up movies on hard drives wouldn't play in Media Center. With Vista all I had to do was change a setting in Regedit. I tried to navigate to this same area in Windows 7 and can't find the setting to change.

Any ideas?

Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bodaggit23

Bodaggit23

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

It may take a while to import the videos into the Media Center Library.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Bodaggit23, 26 June 2009 - 12:04 AM.

Post your system specs in your sig so we don't need to ask...

CPU: i7 920 Batch#3841A525 (@3.43Ghz) Board: EVGA X58 3X SLI RAM: Dominator 3x2GB DDR3 1600 Hard Drive: 300GB VelociRaptor GPU: EVGA GTX260 SC Core 216
Optical: Sony Optiarc 22x DVD/CD Burner PSU: Corsair TX850W CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 Primary OS: Windows Vista x64 SP2 Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

#3 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Bodaggit23. However, the problem is bigger than just importing the movies into the MC library. I have already added all of the folders and hard drives for the MC library.

As I stated in the first post, THE FIX in Vista was the following:

Open Registry Editor (Start, Run, REGEDIT) and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DvdSettings

Double-click the key ShowGallery and change the value from “Play” to “Gallery”.

Posted Image
Click OK and exit the Editor. If you’ve got Media Center open, you’ll need to shut it down and re-launch it. Now, under “TV + Movies”, the “Play DVD” option is now “DVD Library”. DVDs will still play as normal though – just insert the disc and the movie will auto-load.

However, the Regedit in Windows 7 looks like this:

Posted Image

I am not sure where you change the value from "Play" to "Gallery".

My Video Library comes up okay:

Posted Image

But when I click on a movie to watch the subfolders come up:

Posted Image

If you click the "play all" button you get sound only from the first VOB file. No picture and then it stops playing.

I am sure this is a setting somewhere. Just don't know where it is. My search on the web came up with some information on "TheGreenButton" forums to download a "Window 7 Codec by Shark007". It sounded really "fishy"to me and other post in the same thread questioned this also.

I am sure there is an easy solution to this. Maybe I will stumble upon it before someone can reply and give me the solution.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users