Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure after reformat of drive 0 (2 hard drives)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 darthkronk

darthkronk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hello,

After looking through my post, I realized its very long-winded but I was trying to be detailed. There's a short version at the bottom if you're looking for my question.

I recently reformatted one of my two hard drives, which previously contained a Windows XP install and a Vista Ultimate install and now I am getting a Boot Disk Failure. Windows XP was on an 400 GB IDE hard drive (Disk 0), and Vista was on a 500 GB SATA drive (Disk 1). I did the reformat in Windows Vista, in the Computer Management screen. After it finished, I restarted my computer and received the error "BOOTMGR is missing, press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart." From what I understand after looking into this, when I installed Vista onto Disk 1, it put the Boot manager on Disk 0 instead of Disk 1, so when I reformatted Disk 0 the Boot Manager was gone. I pulled out my Vista CD and tried to use the Repair installation option but it didn't even detect a drive with an operating system on it to repair. I also tried used the CMD prompt in the repair section, using the bootrec.exe command, to repair it but that did not work either. It also did not detect my second drive (designated as F:) but only the empty C: drive (the newly reformatted disk 0) with no operating system on it. I decided to try to install Vista onto my IDE drive (disk 0). I completed the install and now had a working operating system on Disk 0, but now I started getting the "Boot Disk Failure" error message on startup. I tried booting from my Vista CD and repairing again, but was unsuccessful again. I finally was able to make progress by going into the Boot Menu and booting from my IDE Hard Drive (Disk 0).

This took me to the screen asking me to select my operating system, and listed:
Current Version of Windows
Windows Vista Ultimate (recovered)

(I can't actually remember the exact wording for the top one)

By selecting Vista Ultimate, I'm able to boot from my Vista hard drive (Disk 1) and it works normally.

Short Version:
Here's my problem/question: At this point, I'm guessing that I'm still missing some of the files required to boot from my main hard drive (Disk 1) since I'm still getting Disk Boot Failure errors. How can I reinstall these files? If I boot from the Vista CD, the repair tool still doesn't recognize that Disk 1 is even there. If I'm incorrect in my assessment of the problem, is there something else I can do to fix this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

I think I would boot into the "working" Vista install and download and install EasyBCD. This is a GUI program that will edit the bootloader for Windows Vista and allow you to add or remove the installs of Windows that you want in your boot menu.

I have used this to regain entry into a Vista install after a partition resize and install of Windows XP on a laptop.

As long as you can find the installation, you can add it to the boot menu.

If your bootloader is damaged or your Master boot record is damaged the newest EasyBCD can replace those also.

EasyBCD is located here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

I would also recommend reading the documentation located here: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Easy...0A9333360854E7A

Good Luck,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users