Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shutdown!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sweetie8

sweetie8

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hi, I am trying to fix my log and was doing a antivirus scan from the websites I was instructed to use, but everytime i try to run them my computer shuts off all by itself. I have tried four differant ones and it does it everytime.
Any ideas so I can finish my instructions?
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 12:31 PM

Try downloading Trend Micro's Sysclean utility:

Sysclean Download

Virus Pattern File

Make sure the virus pattern files are in the same folder as sysclean.com

#3 sweetie8

sweetie8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:16 AM

Thank you for the help...but I don't understand what you mean. Sorry I'm not very good at this.

#4 sweetie8

sweetie8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

Still having same problem, can't run anti-virus scan completely through, computer shuts off all by itself. Also will shut off when on-line at no particular site just seems to be whenever it wants. :thumbsup:

#5 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:15 AM

Well I am not sure but it sounds like you are having a problem with overheating. That would be my first guess. Have you tried running your virus scan in safe mode? I would try that also.

#6 sweetie8

sweetie8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

Now my computer will shut off automatically if not using it for about 5 minutes!
It doesn't seem to be hot, and the fan is running fine.

#7 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

right click on your desktop and select properties, click screen saver, click power, your power scheme should be Home/ Office Desk if not use the drop-down menu to select it. There are three settings at the bottom Turn Off Monitor, Turn Off Hard Disk and System Standby set all three to NEVER and see if this helps. If this solves your issue you may want to set the monitor to turn off after whenever.
Posted Image

#8 sweetie8

sweetie8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info, everything was the way that you described. Computers fine unless I leave it unattended for about 5 mins, then it shuts off.Have to turn off power bar to get it to turn on again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users