Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exporting from iTunes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:27 AM

Hi all. I'm quite new to all this forum and computer stuff so please forgive me if this is a stupid question or not explained well. :thumbsup:

We've got iTunes on our computer and have got most of our music on there. Is there any way I can move/copy the tunes I've got on iTunes across to somewhere else so I can play them with the windows media player. This might sound daft, but our little boy loves watching the screen with some of the visual effects you can get with the windows media player and you just can't get the same effects on the iTunes, so I don't mind doing a bit of work in exchange for one of his smiles!

Cheers in advance for any help. Moose.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:19 PM

It's usually not a good idea to convert between formats, but I think you can go into edit --> preferences --> importing tab and change format to mp3 (which will play in WMP). Right-click on music tracks and select convert to mp3 to convert. I'm not sure I have it right. Tell me if it works.

Edited by HuckerJ, 02 September 2004 - 05:20 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:56 PM

Personally what i would do is this. Find where the music is either by searching for a title, or looking in the folders. Make a copy of it, to a different folder. right-click the mp3, and select play with...media player. If the music is not in mp3 format, you may need a converter, but DO NOT conver the music from the I-Tunes folder. It will keep track of it somehow, and you might not be able to convert it back.

Let me know if it works for you, and if it doesn't then there are other ways.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:00 AM

Open itunes, click on Edit, then preferences. Then click on the Advanced tab and the location it states in the iTunes music folder location is the directory where your music is stored.

Then open windows media player, click on tools, then search, and type the directory found in the previous step in there and press enter. Your music should now appear in windows media player

#5 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:53 AM

Thanks all. I'll have a go and I'll let you know how I get on. Moose.

(Might be a while, I'm bound to cause myself some bother somewhere along the line!)

#6 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:45 AM

Hi again. I've done my best but I think I've hit a brick wall.

HuckerJ....No offence but you seemed a bit unsure and if I read it right Jason was saying don't try to convert the format in iTunes cos it might mess it up. I'm well aware of my limitations so I'd rather not do anything permanent - I know I'll spend the next 6 months trying to pick up the pieces! I'll leave that sort of stuff till I get a bit more confident about what I'm up to. Thanks anyway for trying to help. If I was a bit braver I'd give it a run!!

Jason.... I've made a new folder and copied the tunes from iTunes to it, but they're all MPEG-4 format (whatever that is) and my media player won't play them. You mentioned a converter.....?

Grinler.... I've followed your instructions but when I search the iTunes folder with WMP it tells me it can't find any media files (I presume that's cos they're in that MPEG-4 format). I'm sure I'm sending it to the right folder - I've cut and pasted it loads of times to check!

If there are any other things to try I'd be grateful, but if not thanks for your help - I'll stick to the iTunes visualisation and send "The Boy" out into the garden if he wants to look at something beautiful (Blimey, that was a bit poetic for a big oaf!!) Cheers, Moose. :thumbsup:

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:03 AM

For some reason I thought that itunes made mp3s. Ok try this:

Download and install this program

Codec Installation Package for Windows Media Player 7.1 or later
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ecdownload.aspx

That may give you the ability to listen to Mpeg-4 music

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:09 PM

Jason.... I've made a new folder and copied the tunes from iTunes to it, but they're all MPEG-4 format (whatever that is) and my media player won't play them. You mentioned a converter.....?

Moose, you'll find this site has the information/download of a converter:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

The converter has, built in, the most popular audio codecs...those that convert .wma to .mp3, and others. It's called the Swiss Army knife of Audio. The .mp4 is a newer version of .mp3, also called AAC and iTunes uses it. Illustrate, the software developer of this and several other applications, can be trusted, but you may have to have spybot clear a tracking cookie for you after download of some of the available apps. (This probably because you can upgrade the basic app, at a cost of $15.00, basically to have better tagging of files.) I personally use iTunes for tagging (labeling), and dmc for ripping (copying from audio CD to HDD). I rip to a folder "it" sets up called Converted Music, and from that folder import any individual mp3 files into iTunes. That way I also have a location from where any other player , like WMP, can access files without going into the iTunes Library files or those that can be setup in the iTunes Folder. After a while, when I know where I want any particular songs to be, I then delete the appropriate "converted music" files, leaving the folder. The dmc (converter) can be "fitted" with a long list of audio codecs available free. I use a couple in addition to those built in. Of great value are the instructions that come with the stuff. Just read the links prior to downloading anything and you'll learn a lot. :thumbsup: Please feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

Edited by phawgg, 03 September 2004 - 12:15 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:31 PM

the_moose-About music file converting:when you convert the same music file from one to another, there usually is not much loss in it, but when you go back and forth multiple times, there is some room for error. That was the main reason why I suggested that you make a copy, and convert the copy. I was told one time that it is similar to copying a copy.

Grinler-Thanks for the tip on where to find the folder location. I should have thought that it would be listed there, but wasnt sure on how to find it.

Phawgg-thanks for the help for the converter. It seems like we make a great team, and I know this is just the beginning.

#10 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:57 PM

I tried the iTunes convert feature and it seems to work well. What it does is make an mp3 copy of the original m4a file so that you will have both in your folder. The original is not touched. Also, I tried installing WMP9 codecs, but still could not play m4a's.

Edited by HuckerJ, 03 September 2004 - 07:01 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#11 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:46 AM

Hi again. I'm discovering how little I understand about all this!

I've downloaded the suggested programs (dbpoweramp with the extra codecs required) and also tried the converting in iTunes itself. I think the problem is that all the tunes I've got from iTunes over the net are shown as "protected" so the dbpoweramp can't get into them to convert them and the iTunes program won't convert them itself either...Bit of a catch that, seems like if I rip from my own CD to iTunes I can convert it any number of ways into almost any different format (which obviously I could do by just ripping it again from the same disc in a different format), but if I've bought the tunes over the net (obviously because I haven't got the disc) it has to stay in the format it was sold in and can't be "got at" by any other programs.

I don't mean to sound like my son when he's had a toy taken away but I feel a little cheated here, as if it's like I'm only renting the tunes not buying them! This is just a guess but I presume there's no way to "unprotect" the tunes that I've bought (with my hard earned wedge!) and so I am stiffed! With a bit of luck I'm totally wrong and moaning for no reason (I do hope so!)

Never mind...thanks for all your help everyone, I'll try and think of a more intelligent question next time! Cheers, Moose.

#12 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:28 AM

Never mind...thanks for all your help everyone, I'll try and think of a more intelligent question next time!

You are welcome on the help. Im sure that you are not the only one that has the question about all this, but you did take the time to ask it. For this, I commend you. Feel free to ask anything that you want, as we can all benefit from each others' experience.

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:09 PM

Moose, a couple more thoughts for you.

I rip CD's from several sources.
  • My own collection started 12 yrs ago
  • My family's collections
  • My friend's collections
  • garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, swap meets, pawnshops
  • the public library
  • promotional give-aways
Additionally, I've found other computer users like to offer me songs. I have chosen to use mp3 as my basic file type. Everybody's software is more than willing to convert it from there. Simplify your life. The end result of all the above is having blank CD's burned with songs of variety that I have placed in an order of listening that I like. I justified the purchase of a 120 GB HDD.

[I buy, trade, give, vote, pay taxes & donate money]
:thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 06 September 2004 - 01:11 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#14 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:39 AM

Aha! The fog is (very) slowly lifting...I see what you're getting at. Thanks. Moose. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users