Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant share files on a network pc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnnydorayme

johnnydorayme

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

Hi all,

SOLVED

I have a small internet with 5 pcs all running windowsXP PRO, one of the computers on the network will not let me access its files via the network, I can print share from this computer no problem, I can see the folders I want to share, but cant open the folders or copy files from this computer to another it says I don't have Admin rights and to contact the administrator.. But thats me..

I can copy files to this computer from all others no problem but the other way nope..

So whats wrong here... im stumped the other pcs have the same setup as this one that wont share its files.. ive googled this and tried many things to get it to share and now im here looking for help..

Its proly something very simple that i cant see.. a service or something...

cheers

Johnny

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by johnnydorayme, 25 June 2009 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Have you tried checking your security firewall? That often blocks incoming traffic.

A good way to test it would be to disable your firewall temporarily to see if you can then access the files. For the few seconds/minutes that it'll be down it won't be /too/ much of a security problem. If you can access your files then, re-enable the firewall and look at the settings to allow the other computers access.

#3 johnnydorayme

johnnydorayme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Solved it...........

I had Acronis True Image installed on that pc and wondered what id done since file sharing had stopped working, all i had done was install Acronis True Image.. so I uninstalled and whaaaaa hey presto I have file sharing back... I must read the Acronis True Image documentation to see why this happened..

thanks

Johnny

Edited by johnnydorayme, 25 June 2009 - 04:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users