Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a new Desktop that will LAST(=

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 latherly

latherly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Okay so my current computer, which is a Dell Dimension DE051, -2006-
SUCKS. Ive had it for only 3 years. I am a Sims freak, I love to play the Sims, And recently the sims 3 came out

Sims 2 Doesnt Run on this PC
Sims 3 Doesnt Run on this PC

SOOO
im looking for a computer with a good graphics chip//driver or whatever.
andd one that wont get super slow in 2 years (:
&& ive learned never to get a dell again lol

SUGGESTIONS on brands/models/ect

thanks XO
:blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

No matter what computer you buy it will be obsolete by the time you get it out of the box & hook it up.

If you want a computer that is going to last for awhile your best bet is either build it yourself or have one built by somebody that knows what they're doing.

If you have a custom built with a really good/strong power supply & motherboard you can upgrade as needed over a period of time.

One of the most important things whether you get a "brand name" or custom built is get much more computer then you THINK you need.
You will be happier 2 yrs. from now. :blink:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

Its not the fact that it got slow,its the fact that everything else got faster,thus they made the game better by taking advantage of the faster computers,but because your computer is not as fast;it doesn't work.
What's your price range?
You will get a better computer for the money if you avoid the main store brands,like Hp,gateway,dell...and so forth,I just saw an ad by Cyberpower for an computer with an i7 at 3.06GHZ for $1160.

Edited by sonicjet, 27 June 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#4 604action

604action

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Check out newegg they got good selectionPosted Image
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”
(Nytwind)

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:45 PM

What is wrong with Dell? YOU bought that thing that was underpowered when it was new, how is that Dells fault? I've had nothing but good experiences with Dell. If I was a ever going to buy, rather than build, a computer again (say may brains fell out of my earhole) I would get a Dell. Dell uses good parts (for a computer maker) and stands behind its products.

Naw, I stand corrected. if I were ever going to buy a box computer I would probably use Vision Computers. They are what Dell USED to be. A small computer manufacturer that builds a better computer cheaper and has great customer and tech support. Not only that, but they are headquartered about 5 miles from my house and if something DID go wrong and they got stupid about fixing it, I could easily walk (much less drive lol) over there and stand on the Presidents desk shouting until it got fixed. But other than Vison, I would use Dell. The Dell my wife got me about the same time as you got yours, is still running just fine. WHenever I called their Tech support they handled the issues promptly and cheerfully, even when (as was the case most times) it was my computer ignorance not their machine, that caused the problem.

Bottom line though? Build your own. You get better quality parts for WAY less money.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

All of you are going to think I've lost my mind BUT if I were going to nuy instead of build I would get a Intel powered Emachine.
I would then put a new, strong, power supply in it.
I have been repairing all brands of computers for years.
Emachines usually have rather good parts EXCEPT for the Bestec power supply .
Every one I've ever repaired has had the same problem, the garbage Bestec PSU went bad & fried the motherboard.

One of my nieces bought a Emachine a few years back.
I changed the power supply & added a video card.
It has been running nearly 24/7 since without an issue.
[A C2D on a Intel motherboard .]

I would look at a emachine as a sort of working "bare bones" unit.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

I agree with FJB (in part)...I've had an eMachine before and what I did is remove all the junk (wiped hard drive clean) and installed XP fresh and changed the PSU to one I could count on. I had no complaints with that system, only "upgraded" because faster components became cheaper and I had the cash lying around.

If Intel processors were the same price as AMDs, I'd go with Intel. That speed differential just isn't significant enough (IMO) to make me spend the cash differentials.

Louis

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:24 AM

Okay so my current computer, which is a Dell Dimension DE051, -2006-

Sims 2 Doesnt Run on this PC

sims 2 wont run on your computer ?
its a 2006 model and it wont run ? well i just looked the system specs for it and that will run on my ten year old pentium 3 computer(it has been upgraded but its not powerful and all it has is PCI)

yes thats right ten years old

so it should run just fine on your computer

now sims 3
i understand about that not running
but sims 2 should run fine

#9 huxtona

huxtona

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:11 PM

Any computer becomes "slow" in 2 years. Reinstalling your OS, clearing out dust from inside the case and upgrading ram would help it run faster I suppose. I say reinstall your os and update your drivers too.

But if you insist on getting a new pc, pick out good parts. Get a pc store to build it for you instead of going to best buy or dell.

Here's my build, in general:
Gigabyte motherboard... EP45-UD3R
Core 2 Duo T7400 (or above if you wish)
Corsair 500w power supply
radeon hd 4850 or hd 4870. go for sapphire or HIS versions of this chipset. a dual slot solution is better.
3 or more gb of ram... if you're running xp 32 bit it'll only recognize 3.25gb, 4gb would be good for the future windows 7 would probably recognize all of it. (not sure about vista). Make sure you get ram that runs
at 1066mhz, or more if you wish (depends on whats the max your motherboard can handle)
nice case
as big a hard drive you want.

This build certainly isnt top of the line but it runs all games very well (crysis runs on medium settings but it looks great) at high resolutions too. Also, mine is very quiet and runs around 40C.

However, like the above poster said, it's weird you can't run Sims 2. It would probably run if you reinstall windows.

Edited by huxtona, 20 July 2009 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users