Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Screen Defaults

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

This is not really a "Problem" more of a nuisance:

I have a dual Monitor setup with my computer screen in the DVI port, and my HDTV in the VGA port.
Card is a EVGA e-GeForce 8600GT. Using XP pro SP3 dual booting windows 7 RC. AMD athlon 64 3500+ 3gb pc3200 RAM

Issue is, when i power up, it defaults to the TV until windows kicks in and the login screen is then moved to the computer monitor. Notusually an issue, unless i have to go into BIOS or boot from the optical drive, etc... I either have to switch the TV on to do it (which is a pain due to its location and angle), or unplug the VGA cable from the video card, thus switching the output to the desired monitor.

Basically, is there an easy way to get it to default to the DVI instead of the VGA port when 2 monitors are plugged in?

Thanks in advance guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:14 PM

Anything Guys?

#3 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

Unfortunatley during post you have no real control over the default display, except by switching the devices around.

Is the DVI digital or is it using an analogue signal? I am guessing it will be analogue so the other way round it is to switch the displays to the opposite ports and use vga>dvi gender changer dongles if you do not have the matching connections on your displays. Then you can re-set up windows to change your default display order. This way you get the bios post on the correct screen at boot time and windows you can choose in the settings which is default.

This is unusual though, I have noticed many dual head cards post to both screens anyway, maybe its a feature of your card not to do this :/

Let me know how you get on!

High500

#4 tenz

tenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

Thats kinda what i figured abt the dongle and all, i think it is video card specific, as my old card did POST to both adapters, As i said, its not really a big issue, but more of a nuisance.

Thanks for the reply though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users