Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to XP Pro from XP Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

I have been tasked with updgrading this HP Mini 1000 Netbook because I have other work I need to do to the PC that requires it to be joined to our domain. As you may know, XP Home is not domain friendly without doing some nasty registry tweaks that I'm not about to do for the person who is in as high of a position as I am working on this for.

Will it work? Better yet will the HP Mini 1000 work? We have the legitimate licensed copy of XP Pro to install and I can get all of the drivers and other needed stuff, I just want to know if anyone has knowledge as to whether this will work or if I'll somehow "break" the netbook in doing so.

Thanks!

PS - this is somewhat urgent!!!!

Edited by Eric RBA, 25 June 2009 - 09:49 AM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

While I do not have the experience of doing so. It appears to be a relatively painless matter and very possible. See the following:

Granted, Windows XP Home Edition lacks some of the more advanced security and network features of Windows XP Professional. For example, it cannot join a corporate domain or take advantage of Microsoft's Active Directory to reduce maintenance and support costs. This is a moot point, though, since installing Windows XP Professional and getting it to work seamlessly on a netbook has been tried, done, and deemed a piece of cake. Many businesses deploy their own custom images anyway, so reimaging a netbook with Windows XP Pro, security software, and proper system settings is a pretty standard procedure.

Quote from: The Best Netbooks for Business

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

I appreciate the reply. I have concluded that it's pointless now to even look any further because I contacted Verizon and they say it will void the service warranty if you install any other OS besides XP home. So my hands are tied.

thanks,

Eric

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for replying with a scenario I hadn't considered when you asked.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

You're welcome. I could have saved some time and checked into that in the first place. I guess it's my nature to attempt to resolve problems my own way first, then let others help out. It's all resolved now though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users