Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which CCleaner boxes shall i tick?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hi,
I just installed the latest Crapcleaner and you have to select which of the many boxes to tick for cleaning out.
Shall I just tick them all?
(I'm Win XP Home)

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 25 June 2009 - 01:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

That depends on what you want to clean out and get rid of. You can right click on each option and choose "Analyze" and it will tell you if there's even any content on your PC within that category and then you can choose whether or not to put the tick mark. For most categories it's self explanatory as to what it's removing (I.E. - "System - Empty Recycle Bin" or "Internet Explorer - History") so you have to decide if you want it to remove that item or not. If you're not sure what it is, you can look it up (Google) or simply just not put a tick and don't bother with that item.

But analyzing each item will help you to know if you need to clean it.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

CCleaner Beginner's Guide

:thumbsup:

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:34 AM

Hey Mick. Just to let you know that I mostly use CCleaner to automatically clean temp files, cookies, the recycle bin etc. each time I boot up. You can do that too. Just remember to save any cookies you want to keep.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

Issues button

http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour/5-issues
-------------------------

understanding the issues button

http://www.removingspywareforfree.com/arti...Button_Ccleaner
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

So which ones do i tick?
I mean, I'm not a manual reader becuse I can't understand the longwinded techy gobbledegook

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 27 June 2009 - 07:23 AM.

#7 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

Mick,

I don't think anyone here can completely answer your question for you. You need to determine what it is that you'd like to clean up and put the tick mark on those options only. If you want temporary internet files and cookies cleaned up, choose those and clean with those settings. You just have to remember that anything that you place a check mark for will be removed permanently, so choose carefully.

If it would help, tell us what exactly you want to clean up and maybe suggestions can be made.

Mick,

I don't think anyone here can completely answer your question for you. You need to determine what it is that you'd like to clean up and put the tick mark on those options only. If you want temporary internet files and cookies cleaned up, choose those and clean with those settings. You just have to remember that anything that you place a check mark for will be removed permanently, so choose carefully.

If it would help, tell us what exactly you want to clean up and maybe suggestions can be made.

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

....tell us what exactly you want to clean up and maybe suggestions can be made.

I don't know, I'm just a grunt wargamer not a PC expert, I only know how to do a few key presses and clicks to make my little men and tanks run around shooting their guns..
People tell me "clean your PC now and again with CCleaner", but like I say I haven't a clue which boxes to tick, and daren't tick the lot in case I accidentally disembowel my PC.
Hey, can you guys recommend some harmless boxes to tick, we can forget about the risky ones..:thumbsup:
Thanks
Colonel Mick, The Few Good Men military club

#9 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

You should be fine just using the default settings until you become more knowledgeable of how CCleaner works.

Do not use the Registry Cleaner included in CCleaner.

:thumbsup:

#10 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

....tell us what exactly you want to clean up and maybe suggestions can be made.

Hey, can you guys recommend some harmless boxes to tick, we can forget about the risky ones.. :thumbsup:

Internet Explorer
Temporary Internet Files
Cookies
Index.dat files

Windows Explorer
Recent Documents
Search Autocomplete

System

Empty Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Memory Dumps
Chkdsk File Fragments
Windows Log Files

Advanced

Old Prefetch Data
Hotfix Uninstallers

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

Okay thanks, and what about the 'Applications' tab, which boxes do you recommend ticking there?

#12 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

Sorry a little slow on the response to your last post. The applications tab is going to be different for everyone because you'll have different stuff loaded on your PC than I or any other user most likely. Just leave them as the default and remove the tick mark from anything under Windows or Utilities and you should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users