Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Block where now??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

A day after setting up some AT commands, I went into my Event viewer to see if I could get some results of an automatic defrag. First off, do you know where I can find the results?

Also, I found an error on \Device\Harddisk0\D. What drive would this be? I have 2 hard drives and a DVD-ROM.
The actual error says: "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."
There are 3 errors. One at 6:00pm, one at 6:06:17pm, and one at 6:17:20

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

AFAIK, there is no defrag report of operations. Defrag just moves files around, making it easier for the system to operate effectively...I'm not sure what use any report of such activity might be to anyone.

It's hard for me to say...which disk the system considers HD0.

Harddisk0...is usually the one the system considers to be the first bootable drive attached. It is not necessarily the O/S drive, just the first drive that would be bootable.

What I mean is...if the system has SATA hard drives and PATA hard drives connected...theoretically the PATA drive can contain the O/S and be the first hard drive installed. I have 1 PATA drive attached on this system, with two SATA drives later attached. The PATA drive logically should be Disk0, since it was the first one attached and Windows is installed on it.

But...when those SATA drives are attached, they move ahead in the hierarchy...and become HD0 and HD1, as evidenced by a review of the screen in Disk Management.

So...my advice would be to take a look in Disk Management and see which is designated as Disk0 there.

What's the event ID noted in Event Viewer for that error message?

When I see a message re "bad block", I realize that it can be serious or it can be nothing. If the drive referred to is an optical drive, it's probably pretty insignificant. It's alerting the user that the drive cannot read (for whatever reason) a CD/DVD which has been inserted. The CD/DVD could be dirty or defective...the drive could be failing...it usually (IME) something other than the drive failing.

But, when I see that same message with a hard drive designated, I treat it as if that drive has a problem. I try to run chkdsk /r on the drive...and a manufacturer's diagnostic after that. If I see the message anymore after that, I simply stop using it (I have more drives than I need), after I have moved all data to other drives.

Louis

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

In my setup, I have one SATA drive which is my C: with my windows os on it. On top of that, I have a data drive which is PATA with the DVD-ROM as it's slave. These are both controlled from the motherboard (no controller cards).

I went into Disk Management (how I didn't think of this in the first place blows my own mind) and found that Disk0 is my storage disk (PATA master).

The event ID is 7. Does this mean something significant?

Thanks for the reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

<<The event ID is 7. Does this mean something significant?>>

Maybe...every error message generated by Windows...is an attempt to let users know what the problem is and (maybe) how to fix it. Event ID is one of the different factors that can possibly be used when seeking an answer.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...isk&phase=1

I'd assume that the drive has problems...and follow the procedures I previously outlined for hard drive bad block messages. In fact, I would do this for both hard drives.

Running chkdsk /r and the HD manufacturer's diagnostic...is the only way that I know to verify any more details of what the problems might be.

To run chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer:

My Computer, select the volume (e.g., C:, D:, whatever) you want to check and right-click, and then click Properties/Tools tab.

Click the Tools tab, and then click Check Now.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select both the Automatically Fix File System Errors and Scan For And Attempt Recovery Of Bad Sectors check boxes, and then click Start.

Chkdsk will run immediately if the volume is not in use and then display the results in a dialog box. If the volume is in use (such as the volume which contains XP), Chkdsk will request that you schedule a disk check for the next time the computer is restarted. Type Y, hit Enter. Reboot the system to allow the chkdsk command to execute the check.

After running, Chkdsk adds the results to the Application Event Log with a source of Winlogon. The Event Log entry will contain the entire Chkdsk output, including details about any changes made to the volume. To determine if a computer has had ongoing disk problems, search the Event Log for older Chkdsk entries.

Chkdsk results are stored in the Application tab of Event Viewer, for reasons that are beyond me (seems like it should be under the System tab, IMO...but what do I know?).

Louis

FWIW: When you see an error noting bad block...always check your connections to such drives...first. Poor connections will produce this type of error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users