Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NETZIP Spyware Confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 special magic

special magic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

ok here;s what happened, a few months ago i downloaded '' download accelerator plus '' off of download.com and immediately got a netzip spyware infection.
so the other day i decided to give it another shot, sure enough as soon as it installed my yahoo toolbar picked up a netzip spyware infection as well as forms of adware.i ran superantispyware AND malwarebytes, neither one could detect it, though superanti did detect and remove the adware i was finally able to remove netzip with the yahoo toolbar in safe mode. i alerted cnet to the problem, they said they rescanned it and that DAP was safe. who is right? could it be yahoo antispy is wrong TWICE?? info please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

Netzip information from CA

Certain embedded files that are part of legitimate programs may at times be detected by some anti-virus and anti-malware scanners as a threat (for a variety of reasons) when that is not the case. It sounds like your Yahoo program is doing something similar and detecting an embedded file as a threat.

Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) by SpeedBit is not technically malware, but it may deliver advertising pop ups and track your Internet usage. Read the SpeedBit Privacy Policy for DAP:

Submission and Collection of information
...Your Non-Personally Identifiable Information may also include standard internet communications automatically sent by your computer. This information may include: the type of browser, the type of operating system; Internet protocol addresses (including any host name or geographic information associated with these addresses); and information related to your computer system configuration...While using the Products and Services, users may receive in-context services, advertisement and offers (in the form of banners or textual references such as Google's AdSense™ ads on a web site)...

Communication with SpeedBit
...Any information or material submitted or sent to SpeedBit, will be deemed not to be confidential or secret. By submitting or sending documents, information or other material ("Material") to SpeedBit you (1) warrant that you have no rights of any kind to the Material; that to the best of your knowledge no other party has any rights to the Material; (2) grant SpeedBit an unrestricted, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, display, perform, modify, transmit and distribute the Material, and you further agree that SpeedBit is free to use any ideas, know-how, concepts or techniques you send us for any purpose...

There are better alternatives like FlashGet or Download Express.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

More alternatives:

Orbit downloader (http://www.orbitdownloader.com/)
Free download manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users